Application time input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nninalb

Reaction score
I’m considering applying this cycle, but unsure if I’m pushing it. I am scheduled to take my mcat on 5/28/21 and was wondering if 1 week is enough time to give myself to fill out the activities section? I know requesting and receiving transcripts can take a week+ to get from the university into the amcas app so I plan on doing that right away in May when the app opens, but I don’t want to worry about completing the activities sections as I get close to my MCAT and hoped to just do it after and still submit my application within the first week of June. Is this reasonable or Is the activities section too much to do in 1 week?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Because you said you don't want to worry about your filling out your activities before you MCAT exam date, then leave it for your exam. I wouldn't worry about submitting in the first week if it results in rushing.

In addition to the activities sections, you'll have to spend significant time for your personal statement.

FYI, you can submit letters of recommendation after submitting your AMCAS primary.

I am already working on my personal statement and am just worried about having 1 week to complete the activities section. I have been told it is extremely important to submit early and that's why I would like to submit within the first week.

Honestly submitting June 1 vs June 15 vs July 1 is largely the same and shouldn’t have an impact on your cycle. Take the time you need to ensure all of your written materials are exemplary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, I have heard that from almost no one. Thanks for your input!
It’s the prevailing sentiment among premeds but really doesn’t match well with reality. Applications are not transmitted to schools till the beginning of July. Most medical school admissions offices are focused on filling / onboarding their current class in July/early august. Combine all of this with the fact that schools do not necessarily view applications in the order they are received and it makes the importance of submitting June 1 even less important. When I talk to students I encourage them to submit by end of June to mid July in order to have secondary applications completed by the end of august.

It’s the prevailing sentiment among premeds but really doesn’t match well with reality. Applications are not transmitted to schools till the beginning of July. Most medical school admissions offices are focused on filling / onboarding their current class in July/early august. Combine all of this with the fact that schools do not necessarily view applications in the order they are received and it makes the importance of submitting June 1 even less important. When I talk to students I encourage them to submit by end of June to mid July in order to have secondary applications completed by the end of august.
Totally agree with trying to complete secondary apps by the end of August- however, it takes time to verify the primary app. I've seen primaries take upwards of a month to verify (but this is usually due to some problem with the application), but it usually takes around 10-14 days. It's entirely unnecessary to submit your primary on June 1, but if you want your primary app to be sent to schools as early as you can (so you get your secondary app ASAP so you can apply ASAP), I wouldn't submit any later than around June 14.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Totally agree with trying to complete secondary apps by the end of August- however, it takes time to verify the primary app. I've seen primaries take upwards of a month to verify (but this is usually due to some problem with the application), but it usually takes around 10-14 days. It's entirely unnecessary to submit your primary on June 1, but if you want your primary app to be sent to schools as early as you can (so you get your secondary app ASAP so you can apply ASAP), I wouldn't submit any later than around June 14.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
That’s fair - I should add the qualifier that in my scenario of submitting by mid July you would need to spend some time writing secondary essays ahead of time while waiting for verification. In my mind, a completed application with secondaries by Labor Day is early and can be achieved even if the primary is sent in late. Ironically I sent mine in in August as was verified less than a week later.