application timeline question - batch 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

saiyagirl

So, I'm really confused about the whole timeline for the early match. I'll be applying during this next cycle.

While I know the "overall" submission is early Sept, what timeline do I have to abide by in order to be in "batch 1?"

And roughly, when do interviews begin for each batch?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read on these forums and peeked around at other sites, it is the consensus that the earlier you have your app in, the better chance you have of an invite. For batch 1, applicants have stated that get everything in by mid august the latest. I don't think the interviews go by batches - invites usually begin, I think, when the offical dean letter is sent out and the programs start receiving it or maybe some give out invites before that - I am not sure about this - I am sure someone will comment more on this. Most of the interviews are in oct, nov and dec. Hope this helps!

try to get things in as early as possible. it's important to be in batch 1 or 2. i would aim for sometime in aug to be in either one of those batches. my first interview was offered in sept but most came in oct/nov

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually most of my invites came before the official Dean's letter. The dean's letters dont go out until Nov 1st. I had already done 1 or 2 interviews by Nov 1st. Interviews generally start in late Oct. and finish in Mid Dec. First round interview invites are usually completed by around mid to late November. You can get invites in Dec though, but those are usually ones that have been declined by other candidates. Hope this helps. I had my stuff in by Aug 20th and my batch was Number 2 for the 2006 Match.

I was very late in submitting my application (sep 30!) since I thought that this would still meet the deadline for most programs. But apparently everyone else sent their applications at 1 month ahead of me. That's why I didn't get a response from many programs.
Good luck next year.

Dr. Lin,

Welcome! It's always nice having yet another attending visiting the forum.

Your website is very professional and highly informative. Do you mind if I add a link to our Ophthalmology FAQ?