Application Timeline/Supplemental's/Etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding timelines, and would appreciate any advice!

First of all, I'm going into my 3rd year this September - so my first question is, I will have to be applying in the summer of 2016 (after I finish my 3rd year) to get into dental school in the Fall of 2017 right?

Secondly, I'm planning on taking a trip to Europe next summer (July-August), and I was worried if this will affect my application forms/interviews?

I am going to be applying the first day it's open (whenever in June), but I'm not sure when the supplemental forms come out, and when interviews usually are..? I'm planning on returning back from Europe early August.

As for supplemental forms, what is it exactly that needs to be completed in them? Would I need to be here to complete them, or can I do it while travelling?

Thanks a lot! Would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Supplementals are generally done electronically online. Essay questions and additional info are usually requested.

Early August seems like a responsible return date. If you get interviews they'll likely be in late August or beyond.

Wouldn't you need to complete your supplemental forms as soon as possible (July)?

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to complete everything as early as possible, but the fact that they are electronic means you can leave the country and work from the airport, airplane, or anywhere else you can get Internet service while you're away.

That's what I thought. I think I may just start the traveling in May and finish in June so I don't have to worry about applications while on the road. Also, was my application timeline correct? Meaning to apply at the end of third year?

Yes- if you apply next year (June 2016) then you would start school in Fall 2017. I was in a similar situation as you- I just applied and submitted June 3rd but I was traveling all of July. Just some advice for the overall process:
-It takes a while for your application to be processed. I submitted June 3rd/submitted transcripts the same day but my GPA wasn't verified until the 3rd week of June. Make sure you submit your transcripts as early as possible (that should be the first thing you do!). You can submit your transcripts before you submit your app.
-Many schools have supplemental applications that you can complete at the same time you submit your AADSAS application. When you send in checks via mail I would have your mail tracked. This allows you to check online and make sure the check/forms were mailed to the school. A large number of schools won't confirm that they received your check until much later. These you can submit before you leave for Europe.
-A couple schools (UCLA, Western, Temple) require that you print your application PDF to save it when you submit your application. You can use special apps that save PDFs or check out print shops in Europe to print out your application. I would highly recommend bringing a laptop to fill out these secondaries. This would probably be the most difficult thing you face while traveling.
-Most of the schools you can submit your secondary/supplementals online. There are a couple you need to mail (mine were U Penn, Temple) and checks you need to mail (most schools have you mail a check) which you should do before you travel.
-Most interviews don't begin before September! There are some exceptions (you should check the 2015/2016 Interviews forum).

Hope this helps!

Yes- if you apply next year (June 2016) then you would start school in Fall 2017. I was in a similar situation as you- I just applied and submitted June 3rd but I was traveling all of July. Just some advice for the overall process:
-It takes a while for your application to be processed. I submitted June 3rd/submitted transcripts the same day but my GPA wasn't verified until the 3rd week of June. Make sure you submit your transcripts as early as possible (that should be the first thing you do!). You can submit your transcripts before you submit your app.
-Many schools have supplemental applications that you can complete at the same time you submit your AADSAS application. When you send in checks via mail I would have your mail tracked. This allows you to check online and make sure the check/forms were mailed to the school. A large number of schools won't confirm that they received your check until much later. These you can submit before you leave for Europe.
-A couple schools (UCLA, Western, Temple) require that you print your application PDF to save it when you submit your application. You can use special apps that save PDFs or check out print shops in Europe to print out your application. I would highly recommend bringing a laptop to fill out these secondaries. This would probably be the most difficult thing you face while traveling.
-Most of the schools you can submit your secondary/supplementals online. There are a couple you need to mail (mine were U Penn, Temple) and checks you need to mail (most schools have you mail a check) which you should do before you travel.
-Most interviews don't begin before September! There are some exceptions (you should check the 2015/2016 Interviews forum).

Hope this helps!

I did not print out the PDF version of my application when I submitted it and I applied to UCLA nor did it say anywhere when I applied to that school that it needed to be printed! I think I am going to print it just in case though for my own personal records.

I did not print out the PDF version of my application when I submitted it and I applied to UCLA nor did it say anywhere when I applied to that school that it needed to be printed! I think I am going to print it just in case though for my own personal records.

Did you check to make sure that the PDF was correctly saved? I heard that if you don't print it out the PDF won't save. The file wouldn't save (which I only noticed when I tried to open up the PDF via email) if I didn't print it out.

Did you check to make sure that the PDF was correctly saved? I heard that if you don't print it out the PDF won't save. The file wouldn't save (which I only noticed when I tried to open up the PDF via email) if I didn't print it out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! However, I won't be taking my laptop since it will take up too much space, and won't be worth it. Would you then recommend against traveling in July?

Thanks a lot! However, I won't be taking my laptop since it will take up too much space, and won't be worth it. Would you then recommend against traveling in July?

Honestly I love traveling and would always take the opportunity to travel! When I was traveling in July there were only 3 supplementaries I had to complete- Ucla, ucsf and temple! Ucla and UCSF were easy to do abroad but temple is easier to do at home (you have to mail your supplementary application). I would just check each school you want to apply to and check what their secondaries are like. Many schools don't really change their questions so you can start working on them earlier! Also they tend to be short essay questions so it wouldn't be impossible to do it via phone. But on a side note it is probably cheaper to travel in May than in July (check for plane tickets)... But I wouldn't recommend traveling in June if you plan to submit early. That might be trickier...