Application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m2k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I wait for status of MD school applications or apply it now. I hate to apply now and if I get accepted in MD school abandoned DO. Both are good avenues, I just prefer MD path.

What do yo think I should do, i.e. apply now or wait... if I wait, what is the latest I can apply to get a spot in DO schools. My GPA is 3.9 and waiting for MCAT which should be end of June.

I don't want to miss this cycle of admissions.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Apply now. It is very realistic that you won't know anything about MD schools until November or December which is too late. You might be out money, but it is pennies in the grand scheme of things and you may not hear anything from MD. Be safe, not stupid.

Last edited:
yea apply to 2-3 DO sschools that you would actually go to. My friend applied MD had a few interviews, no acceptances and wishes he applied DO. Play it smart, in the end you will be a Dr no matter what route

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend end up in a tough situation this year. He was accepted at two DO schools, both requiring seat deposits within 2 weeks , and he had one MD decision still pending and an MD interview 3 weeks out. Bear in mind at most DO schools the deposit is $700+ and not the small ones you see with MD. He was miserable.

He was afraid to pay the DO deposit at his choice DO school ($1,000+) and lose it if he got accepted at the state MD school (interview 3 weeks out). He ultimately setup a payment plan for the deposit at his choice DO school, later got accepted to the state MD school, and was only out a couple hundred dollars instead of the entire $1,000+. I'm sure that aggravated the DO school.

It's best to go ahead and apply because choosing between acceptances is a better situation than choosing what to do with a year off. However, realize that you might get put into a tough situation like the one above. Not really any good way to handle it no matter what you do.

:luck: