Application timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d1md

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I received my MCAT score, was okay but I am going to retake because with my stats I need to knock the mcat out of the park. I am registered to retake on Sep 1, should I apply with my current score and let them know I am retaking or should I just wait until my score is released (Oct 2)? I already have my app verified and everything with my throwaway school. Nervous that October is too late. any constructive insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

So I received my MCAT score, was okay but I am going to retake because with my stats I need to knock the mcat out of the park. I am registered to retake on Sep 1, should I apply with my current score and let them know I am retaking or should I just wait until my score is released (Oct 2)? I already have my app verified and everything with my throwaway school. Nervous that October is too late. any constructive insight would be appreciated!
I took it September 9th last year and was fine

October is getting to that late point but if your stats are good you should get an II with a broad application base

Members don't see this ad :)
October is getting to that late point but if your stats are good you should get an II with a broad application base

So do you think I should apply to all my schools now with my current MCAT score, letting them know I am retaking the MCAT sep 1 or should I wait until I retake it with a hopefully better score to submit my application? Don't want to miss the timing on secondaries if that makes sense

So do you think I should apply to all my schools now with my current MCAT score, letting them know I am retaking the MCAT sep 1 or should I wait until I retake it with a hopefully better score to submit my application? Don't want to miss the timing on secondaries if that makes sense
Cannot really advise without knowledge of your stats.
If your first MCAT is trash, then no. Wait for your new and better score.
If it's a solid score and your just trying to best it, then sure bc chances are you may get schools interested anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning on retaking 9/1 and spoke with admissions at a couple schools about my concern with being too late in the cycle. They said that October would not significantly put me behind in the application cycle because they don't transition to wait list interview spots until close to/after the holidays.

I'm planning on retaking 9/1 and spoke with admissions at a couple schools about my concern with being too late in the cycle. They said that October would not significantly put me behind in the application cycle because they don't transition to wait list interview spots until close to/after the holidays.
Oct not too late, even Nov is okay
Beyond that you are pushing your luck

thank you so much, that was extremely helpful!! good luck on your retake!