Application Update for Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefulscientist

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm a competitive applicant applying to the top tier schools in the US and submitted my application and secondaries very early and rapidly into the process (I still reviewed everything for typos, etc). I have already received one interview offer, though I hope to receive more and updating my application is one thing I can do for this. I have a few questions. I am in the process of writing a paper for which I will be first author. Considering my early application submission, I am guessing that admissions groups will review my application early. My questions are: what is the latest admissions groups typically send out interview requests for applicants who submit their application early? I know the interview cycle is from September to January typically, though I don't know how this applies to people who apply earlier or later. My second question is whether I should send an update at this point listing a few extra updates I would like to include since I've submitted my application with a note of my being in the process of submitting a paper or if I should wait until I have submitted the paper. I already have pretty much all the data (I'm waiting on some slides, though all experimentation is done), though I'm not sure whether I should wait or go ahead.

Thank you!
 
Hey all,

I'm a competitive applicant applying to the top tier schools in the US and submitted my application and secondaries very early and rapidly into the process (I still reviewed everything for typos, etc). I have already received one interview offer, though I hope to receive more and updating my application is one thing I can do for this. I have a few questions. I am in the process of writing a paper for which I will be first author. Considering my early application submission, I am guessing that admissions groups will review my application early. My questions are: what is the latest admissions groups typically send out interview requests for applicants who submit their application early? I know the interview cycle is from September to January typically, though I don't know how this applies to people who apply earlier or later. My second question is whether I should send an update at this point listing a few extra updates I would like to include since I've submitted my application with a note of my being in the process of submitting a paper or if I should wait until I have submitted the paper. I already have pretty much all the data (I'm waiting on some slides, though all experimentation is done), though I'm not sure whether I should wait or go ahead.

Thank you!
I'd wait until the paper has been accepted, not just submitted.
You can get interviews all the way until March at most schools. While applying early increases your chance of receiving an early II, adcoms can hold your application and review it at a later time if they aren't ready to make a definitive decision early in the cycle.

Edit: Many schools won't even accept updates until after you have been invited to interview.
 
Do you really think that the Dean of Admissions is going to scream out to @gyngyn that "This kid is submitting a paper! We have to interview him!!!"

???

Your paper doesn't count unless it's accepted or in print.

II's go out in the order of the rankings of the candidates. There's no way of knowing where in the queue you might be.

Not all schools welcome updates either. I don't think that it's worth bothering them unless it's for something significant, like your paper getting accepted.

Hey all,

I'm a competitive applicant applying to the top tier schools in the US and submitted my application and secondaries very early and rapidly into the process (I still reviewed everything for typos, etc). I have already received one interview offer, though I hope to receive more and updating my application is one thing I can do for this. I have a few questions. I am in the process of writing a paper for which I will be first author. Considering my early application submission, I am guessing that admissions groups will review my application early. My questions are: what is the latest admissions groups typically send out interview requests for applicants who submit their application early? I know the interview cycle is from September to January typically, though I don't know how this applies to people who apply earlier or later. My second question is whether I should send an update at this point listing a few extra updates I would like to include since I've submitted my application with a note of my being in the process of submitting a paper or if I should wait until I have submitted the paper. I already have pretty much all the data (I'm waiting on some slides, though all experimentation is done), though I'm not sure whether I should wait or go ahead.

Thank you!