1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Application Update for Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hopefulscientist, Aug 6, 2015.

1. hopefulscientist

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

I'm a competitive applicant applying to the top tier schools in the US and submitted my application and secondaries very early and rapidly into the process (I still reviewed everything for typos, etc). I have already received one interview offer, though I hope to receive more and updating my application is one thing I can do for this. I have a few questions. I am in the process of writing a paper for which I will be first author. Considering my early application submission, I am guessing that admissions groups will review my application early. My questions are: what is the latest admissions groups typically send out interview requests for applicants who submit their application early? I know the interview cycle is from September to January typically, though I don't know how this applies to people who apply earlier or later. My second question is whether I should send an update at this point listing a few extra updates I would like to include since I've submitted my application with a note of my being in the process of submitting a paper or if I should wait until I have submitted the paper. I already have pretty much all the data (I'm waiting on some slides, though all experimentation is done), though I'm not sure whether I should wait or go ahead.

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. starlite911

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd wait until the paper has been accepted, not just submitted.
    You can get interviews all the way until March at most schools. While applying early increases your chance of receiving an early II, adcoms can hold your application and review it at a later time if they aren't ready to make a definitive decision early in the cycle.

Edit: Many schools won't even accept updates until after you have been invited to interview.

Goro likes this.
  4. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Do you really think that the Dean of Admissions is going to scream out to @gyngyn that "This kid is submitting a paper! We have to interview him!!!"

???

Your paper doesn't count unless it's accepted or in print.

II's go out in the order of the rankings of the candidates. There's no way of knowing where in the queue you might be.

Not all schools welcome updates either. I don't think that it's worth bothering them unless it's for something significant, like your paper getting accepted.

gyngyn likes this.
  5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Submitting a paper is an important milestone in your professional career.
    Submission alone is not update-worthy, however.
    What you learned from this process will provide content for your interviews but nobody wants updates within a month of your application.

Goro likes this.