Application Updates - Letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easty04

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been working in a lab the last 6 months, and my PI would like to send a letter of recommendation to some schools on my behalf.

Should this be done through AMCAS, or should I individually send them to the admissions offices of the schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably school specific, many schools only take letters through AMCAs. You could also potentially send via AMCAs, but send an e-mail telling them to look for the letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend who was applying last cycle asked the doctor she was scribing for to write an update letter sometime early January, and she sent it via email to her top choice school when she was waitlisted at the time. Although, from what she said, it really just read like a letter of rec/endorsement. She did end up getting into the school after sending a letter of intent sometime late April, take what you will from that.

Although I am also interested in what the general thought behind this is. If anyone more in touch with the adcom's thought process could shed some light on what the reaction to such a letter would be, please let us know!

tl;dr What would be the general reaction to an 'update letter of rec' of sorts? Would it help at all, especially for waitlist movement?

In September, my summer PI wrote a letter of rec for me after I had already submitted my AMCAS by uploading it onto AMCAS. AMCAS then sent the letter to all of the schools I selected for the letter to be sent to. Within days, most of the schools indicated receipt of the letter on my secondary application portals.

bump - is there any use in sending an update LOR from a PI after 6 months of research? Also I have a manuscript submitted, but won't be accepted likely for a few months. Should I have my PI mention that it is likely to be approved? Thanks