Application updates possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dammit2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi knowledgeable people,

I've e-mailed and called SF Match, but (not surprisingly) no one has replied to my e-mail or my phone call.

1) My questions are:

Is it possible to send SF Match another letter of recommendation for distribution to the programs -- even though most programs have evidently started to review applications? (I know they allow an "Extra Document," but is it too late now?)

2) I discovered that my ophtho elective -- in which I got honors! -- did NOT appear on the transcript sent to SF Match. Is there any way to update my transcript?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

d2, it is my understanding that sf match will not accept any letters of recommendation beyond the original 3, but will accept an additional transcript labeled as "extra doc - med. sch." this will probably not result in an "update" of your transcript in the true sense of the word, because the programs will simply receive 2 transcripts, but it would achieve your objective of getting your grade to them.

however, if you have something valuable to send (such as an additional letter), there is no prohibition on distributing it to the programs yourself. be aware that programs may have their own regulations on what they will consider as far as additional materials are concerned.

rm

ring mod said:
however, if you have something valuable to send (such as an additional letter), there is no prohibition on distributing it to the programs yourself. be aware that programs may have their own regulations on what they will consider as far as additional materials are concerned.

So how would submitting an extra letter yourself work in terms of confidentiality? Would you just make photocopies of the letter and send it out that way, or would you try to get several sealed, signed envelopes?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually SF match does take an extra letter of rec from a "late" elective. u just attach it as an extra document nd mail it to them and they distribute it to the programs u applied to free of charge.

and as for "honors" in ophtho, the weird thing is that the FORM my school sends my away ppl doesnt even have honors as an option, its only like unsatisfactory, satisfactory, and high pass. ANd i dont even know if that makes it to our transcripts..in fact, i know it doesnt.

Morton said:
So how would submitting an extra letter yourself work in terms of confidentiality? Would you just make photocopies of the letter and send it out that way, or would you try to get several sealed, signed envelopes?
morton, most people i know who have sent such letters don't bother with convincing the programs that they have waived their right to the letter. the most common scenario would be, for example, if someone was doing research but didn't yet have a publication - they would ask their primary investigator to write a letter of support and describe the student's contributions to their research, validate the student's claim that publication was forthcoming or at least a possibility, etc. you are right in thinking that a letter like this might not be viewed with the same prestige as a confidential letter sent through the match.

rm

ring mod said:
morton, most people i know who have sent such letters don't bother with convincing the programs that they have waived their right to the letter. the most common scenario would be, for example, if someone was doing research but didn't yet have a publication - they would ask their primary investigator to write a letter of support and describe the student's contributions to their research, validate the student's claim that publication was forthcoming or at least a possibility, etc. you are right in thinking that a letter like this might not be viewed with the same prestige as a confidential letter sent through the match.

rm

I am asking my preceptor to send out signed, sealed letters to these programs. I know it will be a pain; hopefully this won't diminish the quality of the letter too much!