Application: Work/Activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k7i5t3n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I wanted to throw this question out to the nontrads since our background is a little different than others. I'm entering my 8 years of work experience (which includes leadership, clinical, and research experience) into the Work/Activities section along with awards earned at work and my recent (past 3 years) clinical and volunteer experience.

I think I'm going to choose to not put in my random college activities. I.e. In college, I was in an honor society, but essentially wrote a check and never had any meetings. I did an internship in criminal justice (my first career) that I really liked and was on a residence hall board (judicial), but I barely remember details of all this since it's been so long.

What's everyone else doing? Are you hoping that your work and other recent experiences overshadow anything you'd put down from college?

Thanks ~

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all,

I wanted to throw this question out to the nontrads since our background is a little different than others. I'm entering my 8 years of work experience (which includes leadership, clinical, and research experience) into the Work/Activities section along with awards earned at work and my recent (past 3 years) clinical and volunteer experience.

I think I'm going to choose to not put in my random college activities. I.e. In college, I was in an honor society, but essentially wrote a check and never had any meetings. I did an internship in criminal justice (my first career) that I really liked and was on a residence hall board (judicial), but I barely remember details of all this since it's been so long.

What's everyone else doing? Are you hoping that your work and other recent experiences overshadow anything you'd put down from college?

Thanks ~

I'm incorporating a mix of relevant college experiences and professional work experiences into this section. In college I volunteered at a clinic and was president of a large student organization. I want the ad coms to know that I've had a consistent committment to volunteerism and leadership. Hope that helps.

With my AMCAS, I lumped activities into groups. Every college activity would be under just one AMCAS division. Instead of listing them seperately, make the item "college activites" and then list them with the dates individually under that heading. I also had "college award", "volunteering" etc. and grouped them together, otherwise you use up your spots really quickly.

You can get a lot more on your app this way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting thoughts -- Thanks, y'all!

I actually had a similar question. My work experience is very meaningful - it is in a related and relevant field, genomics research. How do you capture all of the research experience, publications, and other related benefits of work experience including project management, etc under a single item? It seems so inconsequential as a single activity right next to clinic volunteer where I learned a lot less :)