1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Application Year Timeline

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bforbread, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bforbread

Pre-Dental
    Hi there! I'll be applying this June and currently trying to plan out my schedule for June 2019 to start of dental school. Since I'm hoping to work and visit family outside of US during this time period, I'd really appreciate if anyone could share a rough application year timeline with me. For example,
    • Assuming I'll finish submitting my apps in June - is it better to stay in the States from July - August in case there are issues with my apps and need to be in constant contact with schools?
    • Or, when are most interview conducted before December? is it mostly in November? If so, maybe Sep and Oct would be good months to be out of the country? (understand there are post - dec interview as well)
    • Basically trying to figure out if there are certain months that I should definitely be in the States AND any months that has a lower possibility of needing to be here.
    These are just some of my assumptions and what I got from reading some posts here. Totally understand everyone's experience is different but any insights would be extremely helpful! Thanks in advance.

#1 bforbread, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Bigjt1420

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    June 2019 to start of dental school**

It's best to leave from July-August, issues with the app can mostly be figured out online/calling people. You don't need to do anything "in-person" during that time, is what I'm saying. You want to be in the states from September on, because interviews (mostly) start in September and go all the way until about February (give or take a bit depending on the school).

Definitely be in US: September 2019 - February 2020
    Lower possibility of needing to be in US: July - August 2019 (assuming you get your app in in early to mid-June

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    IdleKoala and pinwheeels like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    bforbread

Pre-Dental
    Thanks so much for your reply! This is super helpful!

(def still living in 2018....)

4. artist2022

artist2022 yes, I'm a girl
    Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Honestly, if you submit in June, you could get interview invites from July 2019-Dec 2019 for dates in July 2019-Feb/March 2020. Because of this, I would stay here in the States working from June 2019-March 2020, and be out of the country from March 2020-the start of dental school.

Getting into a school is way too competitive and you don't want to lose any potential interviews due to being out of the country. Schools will quickly and easily give your spot to someone else who's in the States ready to go- they won't necessarily wait for you to return back.

Just a word of warning. Good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...