applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibo man

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called aasdas today and I was told that they have received over 6000 applications, and they are expecting more applicants this year. What do you guys think? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea. I've heard conflicting stories in this forum...Some say more....some say less...but what is most surprising is that the "more" and "less" all seem to come from the same source, AADSAS. When I called toward the end of June, I was told that applications were up about 5%. Who knows what the final count will be but one thing is for sure, if you haven't submitted your application by now, you are at a disadvantage.

Originally posted by EcoRI
if you haven't submitted your application by now, you are at a disadvantage.

I agree. Also, numbers really don't matter to those who have applied early. 40 days until...the big day.

I to expect an increase, but no one can tell for sure. Also, AADSAS is known to exaggerate to cover up how much work is really being done. If they said 6,000 then for me it is around 5,000. Remember there is always a pile that have no numbers on it, so it is easy to guess a number.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied on Oct 2nd and my Aadsas number is 4300. Now another applicant in this board had applied on Sempt 23 and his number was 3800. So roughly 50-60 people apply each day, and mind you this is the high season ;) , I think the number of people applying is droping each day. So I do not really think they have 6000 by now even if we go by daily average. BTW they told me I am in batch 15. Probably they told you that so you think they are really busy.

I just spoke with AADSAS and they told that the 13th mailing went out yesterday. I also asked how many applicants they have received and they told me 7000.
Hard to believe this is true!!

Just my 2 cents:
I was at Nova last week and this week I spoke to the director of admissions at Creighton. I asked both Dr. Lippman (Nova) and Dr. Ayers (Creighton) if they have more applications this year than last and both replied yes! Dr. Lippman said "Hands down, no doubt about it, we have more applications right now than we had at this time last year" and he's expecting plenty more for those who are late in the game. He explained that in times of economic uncertainty more people apply to graduate schools rather than jump out into the work force. This includes med school, dental school, pharm D., etc... This is what they told me so I myself am wondering if AADSAS can back it all up!?

I called AADSAS again today, and they told me that they have already received about 7000 applications. Which makes me wonder if they receive 1000 applications per week. Mind bulgling huh.:confused:

How many batches do they send out in a week??

One batch per week

Originally posted by ibo man
Which makes me wonder if they receive 1000 applications per week

I highly doubt it at this time. I wouldn't be surprised if they got 1000 apps the first two weeks of the cycle, but this late is highly unlikely unless a ton of people who just took the MCAT realized that they can't get into medical school and shifted their career goals. Anyways, ibo man, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just leave it up to fate.

DesiDentist

Yes. We are living at a time of economic distress and the Feds are currently stating that our economy will be sluggish for quite some time. But we knew this would be happen if a Bush had to be President, right?

Anyways, I'll tell you what I heard about the applications. Applications to medical schools are expected to decline by the thousands, while the gpa/mcat competitiveness will slightly increase. Applications to dental schools are expected to increase by a thousand or so, also with a slight increase in competitiveness in applicant pool.

PhD programs in science/engineering/economics will be the hardest. Applicants to US PhD programs are mainly international students from Asia. Since last year to some time this year, Asians had been cheating on their GREs. ( go to the ETS website. It is true ) The cheaters are expected to take those inflated scores to apply for PhD programs in even greater numbers this year. And you know what, the US PhD programs want them so they could state a high increase in quality of their acceptees.

I don't know about law, pharm, pod, or opto schools.

, Asians had been cheating on their GREs

Slave4MD, I don't think what you said is true. I actually saw the news and it states "Mainland China's applicants cheat...", not all asians. If you would like to say anything with your prejudgement, please read the fact CLEARLY before you post it!

Ha ha, I hope no one cheats on DAT!!

There is no way anyone could cheat on GRE anymore. They now adapt this computerized adaptive program and the questiones you get are based on how you do on!

Originally posted by socalkev79
There is no way anyone could cheat on GRE anymore. They now adapt this computerized adaptive program and the questiones you get are based on how you do on!

Kid, apparently you haven't taken the computer GREs and thus don't understand how all this works. Even worse, maybe you're sympathizing with the cheaters.

The exam was computer-based and that is why they were able to cheat. Computer based exams all have the same questions and the cheaters somehow smuggled the questions out of the testing rooms and provided them to future test takers.

In its entirety, the computer GREs have the same questions but will give out different ones depending on which questions you're getting correct and the computer's estimation of your difficulty level. So if we have two exam takers destined to get the same type/numbers of questions correct, they would have encountered the exact same questions all along.

oops! guess what I heard was wrong! my bad