Applied Calculus vs Calculus I.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genefreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With regard to the math requirements, do schools require calculus I or would applied calculus suffice. I am in an predicament, I am international transfer student and I have taken Cal I and Cal II at my former non-US institution. However all prereqs have to be taken at US school.

I plan to apply to Medical school next spring, for the next cycle. Since starting school here in America, I have take Orgo I and II, I am in Chem I, Physics I and cell bio right now. ( The reason why I took o.chem before chem I, is because I took Chem I at my school, but I have to 'retake' for admission purposes. )

I will be take Satistics in the first summer session. Bow to my real question,
Cal I is not offered at my school this coming spring, however applied calc is.
Should I take applied calc in the spring, or should I wait to calc I next fall, even though I would have submitted my application already.

Thanks for any imput.

Members don't see this ad.

Not many medical schools require calculus for matriculation. And only a couple require two semesters of calculus. You could skip calc altogether unless you plan on applying to Harvard or need the class for your major.

Not many medical schools require calculus for matriculation. And only a couple require two semesters of calculus. You could skip calc altogether unless you plan on applying to Harvard or need the class for your major.

Agreed. Most schools have no math requirement. Some just recommend it. Some require one semester of college-level math, and some will even consider a semester of computer science in lieu of that. It doesn't have to be calc unless explicitly stated, and stat would be fine (I think some schools require a semester of stat, but not many). And like Negrodamus said, most schools do not require 2 semesters of math, let alone 2 semesters of calc.

Here's a list from a recent MSAR. If you're not planning on applying to any of the schools that require calc, you're alread in the clear.

http://www.swarthmore.edu/Documents/slife/pre_med/Math_Req_for_Medical_School.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
Does having extra Calc, beyond I and even II, help though in terms of applying?