Applied late....now I've been waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roseberry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in September and took my Dats late in october.

I've been waitlisted for:

Temple
Nyu
BU (haven't heard anything yet but i'm sure the class is full)
Nova (haven't heard anything yet but i'm sure the class is full)

I had my heart set on getting into NYU because I would love to be in NY city. Does anyone know if NYU's class is full or how big the waitlist is? Because when I spoke to Amy Knowles about it, she refused to give me any information.

I have a 3.3 gpa (3.5 science) and my Dat scores are 20 (academic average). I thought that my stats were competitive, but clearly they are not good enough :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that NYU's class is full yet. Keep your fingers crossed in hopes that their alternate list moves quickly. For what it is worth I have known people that have gotten in within days of school starting, so hang in there!

roseberry said:

Temple
Nyu

I had my heart set on getting into NYU because I would love to be in NY city. Does anyone know if NYU's class is full or how big the waitlist is? Because when I spoke to Amy Knowles about it, she refused to give me any information.

I have a 3.3 gpa (3.5 science) and my Dat scores are 20 (academic average). I thought that my stats were competitive, but clearly they are not good enough :(

What did you expect taking the DAT three or four months after everyone else? Nice score though

Members don't see this ad :)
DIRTIE said:
What did you expect taking the DAT three or four months after everyone else? Nice score though

I didn't expect anything taking it so late....they had my damn CAD scores as well which were a 19. Besides the reason why i took the american DATs so late was because my father died accidently in late august. It took me a while to get over it and I included this in my personal essay, but most schools obviously don't care.

Sprgrover said:
I don't think that NYU's class is full yet. Keep your fingers crossed in hopes that their alternate list moves quickly. For what it is worth I have known people that have gotten in within days of school starting, so hang in there!

Hey thanx for being supportive. I had a feeling NYUs class couldn't be full, but the interviewer I had was a jerk. He probably had it in for me and he did a good job of destroying all my answers. Hopefully the wait list does move quick because looking for apartments in NYU is no easy task.

Roseberry - I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. You are very strong to pull through and continue with the application process despite everything. Best of luck and I hope NYU contacts you soon!

You know there is nothing wrong with being on the alternate list. A friend of mine was waitlisted at CU last year with a 19 DAT and eventually got in just a month before classes began. Of course this year is more competitive, but with a school that admits about 200 students like NYU will certainly have tons of people who decide to go to another school or something. Dont give up! Your scores are great

Thanx favabean and onetoothleft for the encouragement!

Hopefully the waitlist will move quickly and people will drop their spots because NYU is definately a big school (and one of the most expensive :rolleyes: )

okie its official i've been waitlisted at nova!

Damn it....applying late really is a death wish :mad:

roseberry said:
okie its official i've been waitlisted at nova!

Damn it....applying late really is a death wish :mad:

hey there..
we're pretty much in the same boat...
but i'm in a smaller boat, lagging behind cuz i JUST had my NYU interview..

so, so far..i'm wait/alt-listed @ creighton, temple.
BU hasn't told me yet
CASE hasn't told me if i got ONTO the alt list
...and...NYU...just trying to be patient

u have solid numbers...so it seems..statsitically, u will get in!...here's some luck for u :luck: :luck:

dude, you in good shape. I applied in late Jan! Only had one interview with UMD. I am going to have one with BU, but they are full.

Applying late is a real waste of time and money.

mtabibian said:

I agree! And if we have to apply again for the 2006 cycle that will be more money wasted.

Oh well whats done is done.

It figures that i would be waitlisted for the school with the biggest class size on top of the fact that it is not full yet.

My mother died almost 6 years ago and it has taken me YEARS to get over the constant pain and emptiness that comes with losing such a close relative. I would say that this maybe a good thing in the long run to help you take the time to heal prior to starting d-school. I'm just trying to be positive for you. If you have to apply for next year, then consider it to be a small blessing. Good luck and my sincere condolences to you and your family.

wimmcs said:
My mother died almost 6 years ago and it has taken me YEARS to get over the constant pain and emptiness that comes with losing such a close relative. I would say that this maybe a good thing in the long run to help you take the time to heal prior to starting d-school. I'm just trying to be positive for you. If you have to apply for next year, then consider it to be a small blessing. Good luck and my sincere condolences to you and your family.

I still haven't gotton over my fathers death, I actually graduated in Dec 2004 so i've been taking the time off to help out my mom and brothers. It's definately been a tough year for me. But your right sometimes things happen for a reason and losing one year is not the end of the world =)

Thanx for being supportive, losing a loved one is always devastating, but time is the only thing which can ease the pain eventually. Good luck to you too =)

roseberry said:
I still haven't gotton over my fathers death, I actually graduated in Dec 2004 so i've been taking the time off to help out my mom and brothers. It's definately been a tough year for me. But your right sometimes things happen for a reason and losing one year is not the end of the world =)

Thanx for being supportive, losing a loved one is always devastating, but time is the only thing which can ease the pain eventually. Good luck to you too =)

Wow, you sound so positive and upbeat.. I wish I had stayed positive like you at the beginning, but I was extremely depressed for a good solid year after her death. I'm glad you are remaining positive and hope that you get to d-school this or next year.

roseberry said:

Hey - I'm going to NYU for an interview this Monday. I'll find out the info for ya! ;)

Uh, NYU probably doesn't get full until late April.

My interviewer last year told me that some people people even send in a copy of their application to the admissions office, bypassing AADSAS in late March/April when they've been waitlisted/rejected from other schools because NYU's class fills up so late.

Good luck.

roseberry said:

Temple
Nyu

I hope this will serve as some kind of encouragement. I applied December 13 and took the DAT December 28 (or 29th) something like that, and I got into a couple places, BU and Tufts being my top choices cause i wanna be in Boston. So perhaps it's not too late! Like some other people mentioned, be aggressive! Get on the phone, make sure everything's complete, bla bla bla. My stats were not that different from yours... 20/20/17, 3.2 science, 3.6 non-sci. Hope you get into NYU and good luck! :thumbup:

impuny said:
I hope this will serve as some kind of encouragement. I applied December 13 and took the DAT December 28 (or 29th) something like that, and I got into a couple places, BU and Tufts being my top choices cause i wanna be in Boston. So perhaps it's not too late! Like some other people mentioned, be aggressive! Get on the phone, make sure everything's complete, bla bla bla. My stats were not that different from yours... 20/20/17, 3.2 science, 3.6 non-sci. Hope you get into NYU and good luck! :thumbup:

Yeah aggressive seems like the way to go. Thanx for the encouragement! The odd thing is my file at BU has been complete for several weeks now, but they have not made a decision. I'm getting nervous what the heck are they waiting for?!? I mean it seems like alot of people are getting quick responses.....except for me :mad:

So are you going to go to BU or tufts? BU is my second choice to NYU (a very close second) I guess the main reason for NYU is to live in New york. But my first time in Boston was for their interview and I fell in love with it too. I went the day after the Patriots won....so the city and the people were glowing :D

I didn't even know NYU had interview invites.

NYU class size was around 260 last year and when I was there in Jan for the Open House, Amy said it's expected to be greater than 260.

NYU doesn't get filled up until late May.

If you had your interviews already, I'm sure you will have big envelopes in your mail a few days after 4/1 (2nd deposit due date).

roseberry said:
Yeah aggressive seems like the way to go. Thanx for the encouragement! The odd thing is my file at BU has been complete for several weeks now, but they have not made a decision. I'm getting nervous what the heck are they waiting for?!? I mean it seems like alot of people are getting quick responses.....except for me :mad:

So are you going to go to BU or tufts? BU is my second choice to NYU (a very close second) I guess the main reason for NYU is to live in New york. But my first time in Boston was for their interview and I fell in love with it too. I went the day after the Patriots won....so the city and the people were glowing :D

I applied late too (mid November) and I am right there with you...checking the mail everyday, waiting for an e-mail or call or something indicating an acceptance.
Right now I am waitlisted at five different schools and just want an acceptance. I applied to NYU, but haven't even heard from them. Screw NYU. I interviewed at BU a while ago, thought I rocked the interview, but alas still no word.
If I have to apply for the 2006 cycle so be it- although it is expensive. I figure if I end up applying again at least I won't have to spend the money on sending my DAT scores again or bother with new letters of recommendation, etc.

Stats:
cum gpa = 3.5 sci = 3.3
DAT = 22/22/20
Waitlisted = Case, Columbia, Creighton, Temple and Tufts

For those of you who are double deposited: the day of reckoning is coming!!
(Second Deposit Deadlines!!) :smuggrin:

mtabibian said:

but a great learning experience on its own!