Apply before/after SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When would be the most worthwhile cycle to apply?

• Total voters

Cal Grad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I have been accepted and plan on attending Drexel's IMS program starting this August 2011. I am currently considering applying this year or waiting until next year when I will have a full year of grades from the SMP. I currently have a undergrad 3.2 cgpa and >30 MCAT score.

Q: Would it be worthwhile to only apply to Drexel College of Medicine during the this year(2011-12) given their linkage and then apply to many schools next year(2012-13) if I didn't get accepted the previous year?

Thank you in advance for your input.
P.S. Not trying to offend anyone but I'm only interested in applying US M.D.

Members don't see this ad.

App both years. Maybe only 10-15 high yield private schools, wider range if u need to reapp. Cant score a goal if you aint in the game.

I dont want to offend anyone, but if you are a non-URM male from cali, i think you are at a disadvantage. Just try, and see what happens. Gl

bump, some input would be greatly appreciated

Background: I have been accepted and plan on attending Drexel's IMS program starting this August 2011. I am currently considering applying this year or waiting until next year when I will have a full year of grades from the SMP. I currently have a undergrad 3.2 cgpa and >30 MCAT score.

Q: Would it be worthwhile to only apply to Drexel College of Medicine during the this year(2011-12) given their linkage and then apply to many schools next year(2012-13) if I didn't get accepted the previous year?

Thank you in advance for your input.
P.S. Not trying to offend anyone but I'm only interested in applying US M.D.

There's one thing I'm assuming and that is that you'd like going to Drexel if you were accepted. If I were in your shoes and I wasn't in a hurry, I'd wait to apply to other schools if you're not in a hurry. I'd apply to Drexel during the SMPE and if I were accepted, just go there. But that's assuming you're okay/fine with Drexel if you're accepted. If not, reapply to Drexel and apply to other schools the following year. A year off after an SMP isn't a bad thing - it's what I did - and it was nice working and having a break before Med School begins.