Apply during 2005 or 2006 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christinaf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how does it work exactly? I have a BA and am about to start my pre-reqs this fall at CC, and finishing them at ariz state starting in the spring. Soooo..a possibility I am considering is applying and taking the DAT Aug 2005, after taking Organic Chem 1 in the summer, so I would still be filling pre-reqs in after I applied (likely only orgo 2 and biochem). GPA is about a 3.2 now (may go up) but I wouldn't say I had the most difficult of undergrad classes (very few sciences). My concern is if I will be taken seriously after taking only 2 semesters of science courses, and then Orgo 1 in the summer. Any feedback?

Other option would be to wait until the beginning of the 2006 cycle (May I suppose) and continue to take science classes, have the DAT done, and apply with everything complete. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working through the same timeline! I work full-time and debating about taking pre-reqs for 1.5 years to apply for Fall 06 vs. 2 years of prereqs to apply for Fall 07. I would like to get into dental school as soon as possible, but I don't want to sacrifice grades and DAT scores. My question is when the latest point to take the DAT to still apply each year?

Here's what I did, if it helps,

I graduated several years ago, and last summer I decided to change careers to dentistry, but i still needed 4 Bio classes, 2 Gen Chems, and 2 O-Chems. So last fall I took 2 Bio classes, Gen Chem I, and O-Chem I. Applied in Dec. (quite late), took the DAT in Jan (even later). (Overall GPA 3.5, AA 21, PAT 25) Then I took 2 more Bio classes, Gen Chem II, and O-Chem II this past spring.

Applied to UOP (first choice), Columbia, NYU, UPenn, Boston, Temple. Waitlisted at UOP and Columbia, accepted at NYU. I didn't go to the Boston or Temple interviews because they were for waitlist positions, and by then I decided I didn't want to go there. I also decided that I hated NYU, so I turned them down and am re-applying this year for another chance at UOP.

So even applying so late (basically January), and completing 4 of the pre-reqs in the spring, I could have gone to dental school somewhere this fall, just not where I wanted. But I figure, if you want to go as soon as possible, why not try, you can always apply again the next year.

christinaf said:
So how does it work exactly? I have a BA and am about to start my pre-reqs this fall at CC, and finishing them at ariz state starting in the spring. Soooo..a possibility I am considering is applying and taking the DAT Aug 2005, after taking Organic Chem 1 in the summer, so I would still be filling pre-reqs in after I applied (likely only orgo 2 and biochem). GPA is about a 3.2 now (may go up) but I wouldn't say I had the most difficult of undergrad classes (very few sciences). My concern is if I will be taken seriously after taking only 2 semesters of science courses, and then Orgo 1 in the summer. Any feedback?

Other option would be to wait until the beginning of the 2006 cycle (May I suppose) and continue to take science classes, have the DAT done, and apply with everything complete. Any thoughts?

Apply both. If you fail to get in the 05 cycle, try again 06. Keep going!