Apply ED or no? Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buk Lau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on whether to apply early decision or not. I've been reading a few school websites and they mention that you need to be a "competitive" applicant in order to apply early decision. Considering that my gpa/PCAT aren't anything "overly competitive", is it worth it for me to apply early decision? I thought early decision was a good thing because schools would know, at an early time, that you were interested in going there and therefore you would have a better chance at getting in. Should I apply early decision, especially to a rolling admissions school?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats? If you're dead set on going to that particular school and have absolutely no interest in any other school, then apply ED. Otherwise don't. If you get rejected you can still apply to other schools, but if you get accepted to the early decision school then you MUST go there.

What are your stats? If you're dead set on going to that particular school and have absolutely no interest in any other school, then apply ED. Otherwise don't. If you get rejected you can still apply to other schools, but if you get accepted to the early decision school then you MUST go there.
My pre-req gpa is ~3.3 but my overall is less. I took my pcat about 3 years ago and got around 56 comp (I don't remember the exact score). Despite that, my extracurriculars are excellent. I was thinking of applying ED to Howard because they are my first choice but I'm just wondering what's the point if they're gonna just move me to regular decision because of my scores not being "competitive"