Apply for 2012-2013 cycle or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoHuskers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I should apply by the end of my junior year for the 2012-2013 cycle or wait until I graduate. My reasoning for this is because I feel that my GPA/extracurriculars aren't particularly outstanding or up to par for a medical school acceptance. I currently have a cGPA of 3.689 and sGPA of 3.639 with an upward trend since freshman year. My extracurriculars (by the end of my junior year) would be:
- University Health Center Student Advisory Board (1.5 Years)
- Pre-medical Honors Society (1 year, Treasurer)
- Microbiology Club (1.5 years, President)
- University Judicial and Appeals Board (a.k.a. Disciplinary Committee, 1.5 years)
- NU Meds (3 years)
- Biology Club (3 years)
Honors and Awards:
- Dean's List (1 semester so far, hopefully 3 by the end of my junior year)
- Regent's Scholar (full-ride scholarship, Freshman year only)
- Office of Research and Economic Development research grant
Research:
- 1.5 years research in the Microbiology department with at least one poster presentation.
Volunteering:
- 1 year volunteering in the E.R., 2 hours a week
- Random, single-event volunteer opportunities
Shadowing:
- 20 hours so far of two primary care physicians and an APRN. Have a neurologist and a D.O. lined up before the summer is over. Hopefully ~60-80 hours by the end of my junior year.
I will be taking physics/ochem I and II this coming year, and I hope to raise my cGPA and sGPA to a 3.75. I just feel that if I added a year to my extracurriculars, it would look better. That would also give me a chance to improve my GPA if I don't get 4.0s these next two semesters. Do you think this all depends on what I get on the MCAT (I plan on taking a prep course by the beginning of 2012 and take the MCAT by April 2012), in other words, would I have a pretty solid application if I get a 28+? I don't have any teaching experience or non-medical volunteering yet (although I am planning on volunteering at the local battered women's shelter). Would this look like I was trying to hastily "tie up loose ends" in my application? I'm a Nebraska resident, and I know that UNMC heavily favors in-state applicants (282 applicants, 213 interviewed, 109 matriculated), but my dream would be to go to one of the UC schools (SF, SD, or LA). I have ties to University of Iowa medical school, since one of my parents went there (I don't know if that is a consideration or not), and I'm a white male. This is just such a difficult decision, and I really don't want to wait around for a year, but I don't want the stigma of a re-applicant. Help please!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no reason you'd need to take a gap year given your GPA and EC's. Besides, you still have another year to pad your app before you apply.

There's no reason you'd need to take a gap year given your GPA and EC's. Besides, you still have another year to pad your app before you apply.

Yeah, I guess. I just figured that the padding would look like hastily rushing to get things shoved in my application. I don't know.

I also forgot to mention, I was born in Ukraine and moved to the U.S. when I was five (1st generation of my family in the U.S.). Are eastern europeans considered URMs :D?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also forgot to mention, I was born in Ukraine and moved to the U.S. when I was five (1st generation of my family in the U.S.). Are eastern europeans considered URMs :D?

Nope.

URMs are generally considered to be Native Americans / African-Americans / Hispanic (Mexican or Puerto Rican descent, not Central or South American)

Nope.

URMs are generally considered to be Native Americans / African-Americans / Hispanic (Mexican or Puerto Rican descent, not Central or South American)

Oh I see... Any thoughts on my situation?