Apply for Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarah-20

Reaction score
Can I apply for dermatology with 4 year experience in pathology and 1 year in derma-pathology??

Members don't see this ad.

IMG with 250+ scores and all my experience ( the 5 years) in USA

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, you could apply. As you probably know it's very competitive so there are certainly no guarantees, but I know of some foreign/international medical graduates who have made it in. However, I feel a lot of times, those who have gotten spots have made relatively strong connections with people in the field before they apply.

Reactions: 1 users
USMD
US trained Rad Onc and BC
250+ on all Steps
Research and Pubs in Skin Cancer

Any one able to offer any advice?

Same as above. Your scores are good. You would need to make connections.

You would need a good narrative of why you're switching from rad onc to derm. My assumption (which could be incorrect for sure) would be the bad job market, so you'd have to prove to me that you are actually interested in derm opposed to jumping ship from rad onc. I get that what we all do are jobs, but when there are so many good candidates coming our way, that tends to be one of the top things we use to screen people.

Reactions: 3 users
Same as above. Your scores are good. You would need to make connections.

You would need a good narrative of why you're switching from rad onc to derm. My assumption (which could be incorrect for sure) would be the bad job market, so you'd have to prove to me that you are actually interested in derm opposed to jumping ship from rad onc. I get that what we all do are jobs, but when there are so many good candidates coming our way, that tends to be one of the top things we use to screen people.

This is very true. Sent a DM

Having 4 years of experience in pathology and 1 year in derma-pathology is helpful it may not be enough to qualify for a dermatology residency program. Many Dermatology residencies are highly competitive and typically require a strong academic record and clinical experience in dermatology. It's best to check with the specific residency program you're interested in to see if they accept applicants with your background, and what specific requirements they have.