Apply late this cycle or wait for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelyMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm trying to figure out if I should apply late this cycle or wait until next cycle and I'd really love some input. My preference would be to apply this cycle because I'm really anxious to start my career, but we'll see...:)

I am a social science major, graduated this spring, and decided to go into medicine a bit late in my undergrad. Thankfully I took the pre-reqs with my major, but with huuuge class sizes and stupidity on my part, I didn't take the chance to know my professors and am having trouble getting my 2 science LORs.

This summer, I am thinking of signing up for two science classes. One will be biochemistry at a nearby 4-year uni, and the other will probably be at a CC. My hope is that if I try to get to know the professors enough, they might agree to write me LORs. And if not, then at least I'll have a chance to raise my sGPA. The classes will end the first week of August...I know it's a long shot, but I have to try.

I recently got my MCAT scores back too, and I wasn't happy with them. I'm planning to retake in August. I got a 26: VR 11, BS 9, PS 6...ouch on that PS! But I'm positive I can do better!

So basically, I'm weighing two options:
1) Try to apply this cycle around September, whenever I get my new MCAT score
2) Wait until next year (doing a 1y MPH program in the meantime)

I'm reasoning to myself that I can try this year and if that doesn't work out, next year will be better. But then I can't help but feel that maybe things will be better if I just wait...I don't know. I guess I'm just confused right now!

A little more about me...

cGPA 3.56, sGPA 3.2
MCAT 26 (PS 6/VR 11/BS 9)
California resident

Lots of great volunteer/clinical experiences, working with underserved communities, interest in public health (doing MPH this year)

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for taking the time to read this :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm trying to figure out if I should apply late this cycle or wait until next cycle and I'd really love some input. My preference would be to apply this cycle because I'm really anxious to start my career, but we'll see...:)

I am a social science major, graduated this spring, and decided to go into medicine a bit late in my undergrad. Thankfully I took the pre-reqs with my major, but with huuuge class sizes and stupidity on my part, I didn't take the chance to know my professors and am having trouble getting my 2 science LORs.

This summer, I am thinking of signing up for two science classes. One will be biochemistry at a nearby 4-year uni, and the other will probably be at a CC. My hope is that if I try to get to know the professors enough, they might agree to write me LORs. And if not, then at least I'll have a chance to raise my sGPA. The classes will end the first week of August...I know it's a long shot, but I have to try.

I recently got my MCAT scores back too, and I wasn't happy with them. I'm planning to retake in August. I got a 26: VR 11, BS 9, PS 6...ouch on that PS! But I'm positive I can do better!

I'm reasoning to myself that I can try this year and if that doesn't work out, next year will be better. But then I can't help but feel that maybe things will be better if I just wait...I don't know. I guess I'm just confused right now!

cGPA 3.56, sGPA 3.2
California resident

Lots of great volunteer/clinical experiences, working with underserved communities, interest in public health (doing MPH this year)

I think if you can retake the MCAT and improve your PS score by at least a couple points and raise the sGPA a little you will be in good shape.

What I would suggest is making sure that everything is ready for when you apply in September with having all your LORs together, your personal statement done, and having rough essays done for your secondaries.

If you want to take it a step further though you could go ahead and fill out and submit the primary in the next month or two and notify them of your retake and new classes. That way you will be verified plus some schools will send you their secondaries so you can already have some done before your new MCAT score comes out.

Whichever way you do it though I would suggest applying broadly because of the slightly lower sGPA, but I think you'll be fine applying in september.

I think if everything goes as planned you should be able to get an acceptance, provided you apply as early as possible and as broadly as possible for best chances. I agree with futuredoc. Even though your score won't be in yet or finalized grades, get everything ready - the LORs, personal statement and as many secondaries as you can. Many schools don't change their secondary questions from year to year so you can take a peek at this year's threads to get an idea and be prepared.

Of course you won't be as rushed if you wait for next cycle, but ask yourself this. Will you feel better knowing you at least tried all you can to get in this year no matter the outcome? Or, if things don't work out this time, will you be upset that you wasted your time and money, not to mention stressed yourself unnecessarily? If it's the former, then go for it! Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
an 11vr is really good. if you got a good mcat prep like examkrackers and got your ps/bs up to that you would be all set. what adcoms really like to see is a balanced mcat. and imo vr is the hardest of the 3 sections.

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I'm starting to feel that I should try for it this cycle, provided I get letters. I'll definitely be mulling it over for a few days, but I'm glad for everyone's advice so far.

I didn't realize that I could submit my primary before my new MCAT score was released. If schools only saw my original MCAT score, would there still be a chance that they would NOT send me a secondary? I'm still learning about this process as I go :p

Thank you all for your helpful replies! I'm starting to feel that I should try for it this cycle, provided I get letters. I'll definitely be mulling it over for a few days, but I'm glad for everyone's advice so far.

I didn't realize that I could submit my primary before my new MCAT score was released. If schools only saw my original MCAT score, would there still be a chance that they would NOT send me a secondary? I'm still learning about this process as I go :p

Some schools won't send you a secondary until they receive your second MCAT because they screen very heavily others don't screen at all or very little and you will receive those secondaries earlier. You can prepare for this by seeing which schools screen, but don't feel bad if you don't receive a secondary before your 2nd MCAT.

I don't think I'd worry too much about being screened out with a 26. A lot of DO schools have an average accepted student mcat of 27 so you're not far off. A higher PS score will definitely make you more competitive though, especially by September. Good luck!

I'd wait. A friend of mine has a 3.99/4.0 and a 39, and received one interview with a late application.

Thank you for your input, everyone! :)

cGPA 3.56, sGPA 3.2
California resident

I would apply early this cycle and mention that you are taking those classes this summer and that you are planning a retake of your MCAT. The 26 won't hold you back for DO schools, nor will your GPA. Your 6 in PS, and your 3.2 sGPA will however. That being said, notifying them of a retake and of upper level science classes will gain you an extra look on your app when those are in. There is nothing more beneficial in this process than applying early.

I do also want to stress this: The biggest problem with your application right now is not your numbers. The problem is that you don't have your science faculty letters! Get those ASAP. Contact professors that taught science classes that you really enjoyed and you felt you more or less had a connection with, even if it was just in their teaching style. Get in touch with them via email, phone, any means necessary. Tell them that you enjoyed their class, need a letter of recommendation, and although you didn't speak with them much during the class you would really like to arrange a time to meet for a one on one discussion (or even interview if they would prefer) for them to get to know you, and afterward if they feel comfortable enough, getting a LOR.

Thanks VeeTeeHokies - I took your advice on the LORs and started emailing professors. I actually heard a positive response back from TWO of them, and feel like I just won the lottery right now :D I know they won't be particularly strong letters, but I hope they will be good enough.

Thank you again for everyone's helpful responses! I wish you all the best of luck towards your upcoming goals :)