Apply MUCOM now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alveron_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker here. Looking for some advice about whether to push forward now or to reapply next cycle. Stats:
MCAT: 1st time ~60th percentile, 2nd time >95th percentile
3.6sGPA, 3.7cGPA
2+ years of research
Plenty of nonclinical volunteering hours, 100 hours shadowing MD, very few clinical volunteering hours

I applied only to IUSM because it's my dream school, and retaking the MCAT left me poor af. I'm still waiting to hear back post interview. Because of my lack of knowledge about DO programs (one of the many things I am thankful to SDN for is teaching me about them), I did not apply to any when I submitted my applications this summer.

I'm on the fence about whether to apply to MUCOM now (primary deadline Feb 1) or to just wait and apply to a handful of MD and DO schools next cycle. I'm happy to do whatever will maximize my chances of an eventual acceptance. Thoughts are much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If youre okay going DO and dont want to wait a year go ahead and shoot an application into MUCOM, its a solid school, it wont hurt too apply.

But considering your new MCAT you might actually have a pretty solid shot at MD schools (and DO obviously) if you apply early June 2018. Youll have to consider what important to you in terms of DO vs MD and waiting a year.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, long time lurker here. Looking for some advice about whether to push forward now or to reapply next cycle. Stats:
MCAT: 1st time ~60th percentile, 2nd time >95th percentile
3.6sGPA, 3.7cGPA
2+ years of research
Plenty of nonclinical volunteering hours, 100 hours shadowing MD, very few clinical volunteering hours

I applied only to IUSM because it's my dream school, and retaking the MCAT left me poor af. I'm still waiting to hear back post interview. Because of my lack of knowledge about DO programs (one of the many things I am thankful to SDN for is teaching me about them), I did not apply to any when I submitted my applications this summer.

I'm on the fence about whether to apply to MUCOM now (primary deadline Feb 1) or to just wait and apply to a handful of MD and DO schools next cycle. I'm happy to do whatever will maximize my chances of an eventual acceptance. Thoughts are much appreciated!
I think it's too late in the cycle. I suggest waiting for the next one if you're shut out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait, applying right away in the cycle is a huge advantage, and for you its not that far away.

What’s the mcat score. Just getting used to what’s competitive for the new scores not sure what the percentiles are.