Apply now or after BA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rowerpharm

P1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to be a junior next year and will have satisfied the prerequisites for Iowa and Creighton by the end of next Spring. Therefore, I can apply to these schools next year and, assuming I would get in, start in Fall 2009 (what would be my senior year). Do you think I should apply this year and see if I can get in to start a year early, or should I wait and apply my senior year, get more pre-requisites in order to be able to apply to more schools, and have a BA?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am going to be a junior next year and will have satisfied the prerequisites for Iowa and Creighton by the end of next Spring. Therefore, I can apply to these schools next year and, assuming I would get in, start in Fall 2009 (what would be my senior year). Do you think I should apply this year and see if I can get in to start a year early, or should I wait and apply my senior year, get more pre-requisites in order to be able to apply to more schools, and have a BA?

I would apply just to see if you get in. Not everyone needs a BA/BS/etc. to get into school. Have you taken the PCAT if it's required for those schools you listed? I would go ahead with both plans if you can. Finish the courses you have planned to take, apply, see if you get in and prepare to take the other classes the next fall as a backup. You can always get out of it without any problem before you pay for the classes.

Are there any advantages to having a BA? I know it helps with getting into pharmacy school, but are there any long-term advantages such as will it look better on resumes, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any advantages to having a BA? I know it helps with getting into pharmacy school, but are there any long-term advantages such as will it look better on resumes, etc.?

As for resumes, I don't know. With the shortage all over the country for pharmacists only getting worse I don't think it will matter much. Even if there wasn't a shortage I don't think it would make much difference. All that matters is the PharmD and you passing your licensing exams. If you want to finish it for your own personal satisfaction it's up to you. It does give a little bit of an advantage for getting into pharmacy school, but there are plenty of people that don't have one that got in.

It doesn't hurt to apply while you continue working towards your degree. If you get rejected then you haven't wasted any time. If you get accepted, then good times. As for your question about resumes, once you have a pharmd no one is going to care if you had a bachelors. That goes for any professional i'm pretty sure.

Hello,

Yeah of course. Even if you don't get in you will know what the expect when you do it again next year.