Apply now or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tspx23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started my application process with AACOMAS.

It states my non-science GPA as a 3.79 and my science GPA as a 3.42
I got a 24R on my MCAT 8/8/8 I retook it after studying for months but ended up getting a 23R :(.

Should I get my application out ASAP? And if so, any recommendations on schools?

I also applied already with AMCAS for MD. I do not know wether to add any additional schools I have only added my state school University of Arizona right now, should I withdraw my application. Since AMCAS includes math in the science GPA it shows my overall GPA as 3.68 and science as 3.53.

Any help would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I started my application process with AACOMAS.

It states my non-science GPA as a 3.79 and my science GPA as a 3.42
I got a 24R on my MCAT 8/8/8 I retook it after studying for months but ended up getting a 23R :(.

Should I get my application out ASAP? And if so, any recommendations on schools?

I also applied already with AMCAS for MD. I do not know wether to add any additional schools I have only added my state school University of Arizona right now, should I withdraw my application. Since AMCAS includes math in the science GPA it shows my overall GPA as 3.68 and science as 3.53.

Any help would be awesome!

Your GPA for DO schools is solid. The decrease in your MCAT score may signal some red flags, even if it is just 1 point. And both scores are pretty low to begin with, but your GPA may compensate for it.

In all honesty, if you don't mind applying next year then I suggest you do it. All you need to do is raise that MCAT score, and if you get a 30+ you would also have a shot at MD schools.

Applying this late in the cycle may still get you an interview depending on how good your ECs are. But it's a lot of money to risk it. If I were you, I'd apply next cycle.

Just my opinion. :) Best of luck!

Your GPA for DO schools is solid. The decrease in your MCAT score may signal some red flags, even if it is just 1 point. And both scores are pretty low to begin with, but your GPA may compensate for it.

In all honesty, if you don't mind applying next year then I suggest you do it. All you need to do is raise that MCAT score, and if you get a 30+ you would also have a shot at MD schools.

Applying this late in the cycle may still get you an interview depending on how good your ECs are. But it's a lot of money to risk it. If I were you, I'd apply next cycle.

Just my opinion. :) Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! I'll try getting my DO application in ASAP. I already have my application in for MD schools just unsure whether to send out my application due to my MCAT score. I will try taking it again (January) and see if there is any improvement.

I do have a ton of EC's including shadowing/research/volunteering, but other ones such as being on a dance team, being an android developer, am in an NGO that helps people with disabilities, the health organization, Undergraduate Student Government, Residence Hall Association, worked on campus as an RA for two years, and now have a position on campus to promote sustainability. Don't know if the diversity would add anything to my application though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I'll try getting my DO application in ASAP. I already have my application in for MD schools just unsure whether to send out my application due to my MCAT score. I will try taking it again (January) and see if there is any improvement.

I do have a ton of EC's including shadowing/research/volunteering, but other ones such as being on a dance team, being an android developer, am in an NGO that helps people with disabilities, the health organization, Undergraduate Student Government, Residence Hall Association, worked on campus as an RA for two years, and now have a position on campus to promote sustainability. Don't know if the diversity would add anything to my application though.

Your MCAT isn't going to cut it at MD schools, even if you have a nice GPA. Your MCAT for DO is borderline cutoff, but with that nice GPA and ECs, you may get some love. It's risky, and only you can decide if you want to spend the money. I'd put off the apps, study hard and kill the MCAT, and depending on what you get (25-28 apply DO) (29+ apply MD), go for broke NEXT year and apply on the FIRST day (June 1st). There's no rush to get in this year....

I would go ahead and apply to "dream" D.O. campuses. At worst, you don't get admitted. Then you can try next year. If you apply to campuses you may not even like but think you can get in, you might get in and spend 4 years in a school that's not your niche.

Thanks for the advice! I decided to apply to my state school UofA and a couple of the top tiered DO schools.

I got my Interview Invite for UA and now still waiting on the DO ones!