Apply or take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeetus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking a gap year to improve my stats, but my parents are vehemently opposed to the idea. I'm wondering if my concerns of needing to improve my application are justified or if I'm needlessly delaying my application by a year.

Personal: ORM | Asian | Missouri Resident | Go to a top 20 undergrad school

GPA: 3.94 cGPA / 3.93 sGPA

MCAT: Taking 3/12/22, I've been getting scores around 514-516 on practice exams. Let's assume I get a 515 though that's far from given.

Non-Clinical: I have around 100 hours of volunteering at my local food bank so far, think I can get this up to 150 by the time I apply (if i'm doing this cycle)

Clinical Volunteering: 120 Hours of hospital volunteering so far (started in June 2021), probably will hit 160 by the time I apply (if i'm doing this cycle)

Research: 300 Hours in Alzheimer's research, not expecting a publication this semester, will do a presentation at the school's research symposium this April though

Shadowing: Have approximately 40 hours of shadowing a Urologist, saw him in inpatient settings and observed him doing surgery as well, 30 hours of shadowing a Neurologist

Leadership: Vice President of an environmental club at my school, Event Organizer for a cultural club (not getting specific for privacy reasons)

I don't really have specific med schools in mind, I'm not gunning for a T20 but want to get into at least a mid-tier medical school (i guess T50?)

Members don't see this ad.

Your ECs will be very cookie cutter. Stop research and bulk up on the clinical exposure and nonclinical volunteering.

And as for parents, out of love and ignorance they will do their best to try and destroy your medical career. Do not listen to them. Also, get them accounts on sdn so we can teach them the error of their ways.

It's foolish to even think about School lists until you get your MCAT score back.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, if you apply to a bunch of places and write well, I could see you very well securing an acceptance. However, there is a decent chance that you don't get in anywhere and as a reapplicant, I will tell you that putting yourself through the stress and sadness of not being accepted along with the additional stress of having to repeat the process is a special kind of torture. I would personally wait until you are positive you can get in - maybe get a clinical/clinical research job for your gap year while volunteering on the side and really making sure your LoRs, writing, etc. are all as good as they can be.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is MCAT breakdown? I think that if you could score even 2-3 points above your current average, it would open up a lot more doors. I may be able to guide you to resources that could get you to the next level depending on your score breakdown.

However even if you don’t increase the score, your residency is very favorable. Two state schools in a state that isn’t necessarily known to be a hotbed of premeds. I would say you’re almost certain to gain an acceptance.

I'm considering taking a gap year to improve my stats, but my parents are vehemently opposed to the idea. I'm wondering if my concerns of needing to improve my application are justified or if I'm needlessly delaying my application by a year.

Personal: ORM | Asian | Missouri Resident | Go to a top 20 undergrad school

GPA: 3.94 cGPA / 3.93 sGPA

MCAT: Taking 3/12/22, I've been getting scores around 514-516 on practice exams. Let's assume I get a 515 though that's far from given.

Non-Clinical: I have around 100 hours of volunteering at my local food bank so far, think I can get this up to 150 by the time I apply (if i'm doing this cycle)

Clinical Volunteering: 120 Hours of hospital volunteering so far (started in June 2021), probably will hit 160 by the time I apply (if i'm doing this cycle)

Research: 300 Hours in Alzheimer's research, not expecting a publication this semester, will do a presentation at the school's research symposium this April though

Shadowing: Have approximately 40 hours of shadowing a Urologist, saw him in inpatient settings and observed him doing surgery as well, 30 hours of shadowing a Neurologist

Leadership: Vice President of an environmental club at my school, Event Organizer for a cultural club (not getting specific for privacy reasons)

I don't really have specific med schools in mind, I'm not gunning for a T20 but want to get into at least a mid-tier medical school (i guess T50?)

What are your parents' reasons to oppose the gap year?

A gap year will give you much more clinical exposure and experience as well as the opportunity to apply thoughtfully to specific medical schools.

Last edited:
What are your parents reasons to oppose the gap year?

A gap year will give you much more clinical exposure and experience as well as the opportunity to apply thoughtfully to specific medical schools.
Everyone's parents' reasons for opposing the gap year comes down to money! :)

One year later for attending salary, and, assuming one works until one cannot work any more, one year less of lifetime earnings. They all think it's a waste of time, and don't understand how it is a soft requirement today, because it is not a hard requirement, and because it was rare for applicants of their generation.

This is even more pronounced in some ORM communities, where the parents think college, liberal arts, outside interests or hobbies, or anything not directly related to professional training is a waste of time, because in their home countries people go from HS directly to professional school, and because nothing beyond grades or test scores is considered in determining where you end up.

Reactions: 1 user
Can your prehealth office advise you on how to calm your family down?

ADDED: Are your parents concerned about your MCAT practice scores? Would they want you to go to med school even if you went to a DO program?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

One year later for attending salary, and, assuming one works until one cannot work any more, one year less of lifetime earnings. They all think it's a waste of time, and don't understand how it is a soft requirement today, because it is not a hard requirement, and because it was rare for applicants of their generation.

This is even more pronounced in some ORM communities, where the parents think college, liberal arts, outside interests or hobbies, or anything not directly related to professional training is a waste of time, because in their home countries people go from HS directly to professional school, and because nothing beyond grades or test scores is considered in determining where you end up.
I understand all this and have dealt with it many times. I also know that sometimes parents fear that if a child leaves school they will not go back.

Not to invalidate what you're saying, because you are probably right, but I wanted to hear from OP why OP's parents were so opposed, so that we could possibly help him or her in dealing with these objections.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, if you apply to a bunch of places and write well, I could see you very well securing an acceptance. However, there is a decent chance that you don't get in anywhere and as a reapplicant, I will tell you that putting yourself through the stress and sadness of not being accepted along with the additional stress of having to repeat the process is a special kind of torture. I would personally wait until you are positive you can get in - maybe get a clinical/clinical research job for your gap year while volunteering on the side and really making sure your LoRs, writing, etc. are all as good as they can be.

This is a possibility but I don’t really think that reapp is the kiss of death it’s made out to be on here.

I think that a more convincing argument is that the op is so young that he/she can’t even legally sit at a bar (not saying the op should do this per say, but being that young and finished with prerequisites is a great excuse to pursue other passions that may not be possible once starting med school). Ever wanted to do something like write a book while working as a ski instructor in New England or the Rockies? You can do that. I’m a little more than 5 years older than the OP and already feel too old to do some of this stuff. Imo, you should take advantage of a few years to explore other things. Can’t tell you what to do, but medical school and residency will still be there 2 years from now. Other possibilities may not

This is a possibility but I don’t really think that reapp is the kiss of death it’s made out to be on here.

I think that a more convincing argument is that the op is so young that he/she can’t even legally sit at a bar (not saying the op should do this per say, but being that young and finished with prerequisites is a great excuse to pursue other passions that may not be possible once starting med school). Ever wanted to do something like write a book while working as a ski instructor in New England or the Rockies? You can do that. I’m a little more than 5 years older than the OP and already feel too old to do some of this stuff. Imo, you should take advantage of a few years to explore other things. Can’t tell you what to do, but medical school and residency will still be there 2 years from now. Other possibilities may not
I mean, not saying that it's a "kiss of death" - what I meant is that reapplying in general sucks because of all the additional stress + time/money you're going to have to put in. I'm personally a reapp that's had a lot more success this cycle and looking back, I really wish I hadn't folded when my parents pushed me to apply last cycle when I wasn't ready

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for the late response guys, I'll answer some questions.

What are your parents' reasons to oppose the gap year?

They think that it looks bad to med schools as ADCOMs would question what I was doing in that gap year. I said I would work on clinical exposure, non-clinical experiences, and continue research but they still seemed hesitant and thought that med schools wouldn't be impressed. My dad explicitly told me that a gap year is only worth it if I'm doing research at the NIH or some prestigious place like that.

Can your prehealth office advise you on how to calm your family down?

ADDED: Are your parents concerned about your MCAT practice scores? Would they want you to go to med school even if you went to a DO program?

My parents are pretty concerned, I think they would stop being concerned if I got 518+. Regarding DO, they view that as like a last resort (ie if I can't get in after two cycles then I should consider applying DO).

Yeah this is also a reason too, they said I'd be forgoing a year's worth of salary which tbh I understand, especially with compound interest and all.

Yeah this is also a reason too, they said I'd be forgoing a year's worth of salary which tbh I understand, especially with compound interest and all.
This would also be the case if you had to reapply, but also spent money and mental energy.

For what it's worth even before the pandemic, there were many high school graduates who took a gap year before college. The gap year or year of service is common whenever that happens. People get into business school after working for a few years.

I'm sure @LindaAccepted can share some articles she has written. Here is one article from SDN from one parent to another: Parenting a Pre-Med

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the late response guys, I'll answer some questions.

They think that it looks bad to med schools as ADCOMs would question what I was doing in that gap year. I said I would work on clinical exposure, non-clinical experiences, and continue research but they still seemed hesitant and thought that med schools wouldn't be impressed. My dad explicitly told me that a gap year is only worth it if I'm doing research at the NIH or some prestigious place like that.

My parents are pretty concerned, I think they would stop being concerned if I got 518+. Regarding DO, they view that as like a last resort (ie if I can't get in after two cycles then I should consider applying DO).

It doesn't "look bad" at all to take a gap year as long as you make sure that year is a growth year. You don't intend to spend your year sitting on the beach. Your proposed activities would turn it into a growth year.

The AAMC reports that the average age of med school matriculants is 24. Clearly a large number of medical school students are not going directly from undergraduate school to graduate school, and med schools aren't bothered at all. For Accepted's podcast Admissions Straight Talk, I have interviewed many med school admissions deans and directors. They all say that the best time to apply is when you are ready. I haven't talked to one that said "We prefer applicants coming straight from undergraduate school." To the contrary. Dr. Barry Rothman, who founded and directed several postbac programs before joining Accepted, likes to say "The fastest way to medical school is slowly."

The year of lost earnings argument is a valid one -- if you were to get accepted straight from college without the experience you will acquire during that gap year. That's a big IF. However, if you take the gap year, you will enhance not reduce your chances of acceptance. Application is an expensive process too, admittedly not as expensive as a year of lost earning, but expensive nonetheless. And emotionally draining. Don't go through it just to please your parents.

You can try telling them that if you have more time to study for the MCAT, your score will probably be higher, which means you could get into a better school or perhaps be more likely to be accepted in-state or get a scholarship.

There are lots of people who get into medical school without NIH research experience. I have yet to meet a medical school admissions director who doesn't want to see significant clinical exposure.

I feel for you. You are trying to respect your parents, who want what's best of you, but in this case they are misinformed.

Last edited:
This would also be the case if you had to reapply, but also spent money and mental energy.

For what it's worth even before the pandemic, there were many high school graduates who took a gap year before college. The gap year or year of service is common whenever that happens. People get into business school after working for a few years.

I'm sure @Linda Abraham can share some articles she has written. Here is one article from SDN from one parent to another: Parenting a Pre-Med
Thank you @Mr.Smile12 . We have resources for parents of pre-meds, but SDN rules prohibit me from linking to my site lest I benefit. However, OP can search accepted.com for "Parents of Pre-Meds" and she'll find it.