apply Ph.D then masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ng269722

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to first apply to a Clinical Ph.D program at a school and wait to see if i am accepted or rejected and then if rejected apply to a masters program at the same school? (since dealines for Ph.D programs are much earlier)

There are a few schools in which i am interested in more than one program and it really all depends on my acceptance into the Ph.d programs.

Thank you,
Nicole :)

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of times, if a Ph.D. program also has an MA program, the Ph.D. application will have a box asking whether or not you want to be considered for the M.A. program if you don't get into the Ph.D. program, so you should see if that's the case for the programs you're considering.

A lot of times, if a Ph.D. program also has an MA program, the Ph.D. application will have a box asking whether or not you want to be considered for the M.A. program if you don't get into the Ph.D. program, so you should see if that's the case for the programs you're considering.

I'd keep in mind that this usually means you don't get funding (well, probably a tuition waiver if the school is decent, but more likely not a funded TA or RA position) during your Masters, from what I've heard about it.

I'd be careful with the deadlines. A lot of masters programs I've seen are due in February and most PhD programs don't decide until April.

You might want to apply at the same time.