Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

"apply smartly"

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jattitude, Aug 18, 2015.

1. jattitude

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

Just got my July mcat scores back, got the following scores: 128 P/C, 127 B/B, 124 CARS, 129 P/S (508 total). On old mcat scale, roughly equal to 11 PS, 10 BS, 7.5 CARS, 12 P/S. I retook from january 2015, with 10PS, 9BS, 5VR. English was my second language.

I am really worried about 7 in verbal. GPA is 3.65c, 3.65s, with taking an average of 21 credits per semester. Major engineering, state alaska, undergrad top public state school, great recs +EC, 1 publication (3rd author). I read multiple threads regarding this, and people always say to apply smartly using MSAR. I am having hard time finding schools whose VR 10% falls at 7. I want to know if the following list is applying smartly.

Please have a look:
    Uwashington
    Missouri- Kansas City
    Cooper
    Temple
    Rush
    Commonwealth MC
    EVMS
    Western Michigan
    GWU
    Marshall
    Albany
    Penn State
    Michigan State
    MC Wisconsin
    New York MC
    Oakland
    Quinnipiac
    Rosalind Franklin
    Drexel
    Central Michigan
    VCU
    West Virginia
    Indiana University
    Creighton
    St. Louis

#1 jattitude, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. steelersfan1243

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I believe a 124 on the new MCAT correlates more to a 8 than a 7 on the old test. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. But, just saying this so you do not feel too stressed out.

Also since I am sure it will come up, are you URM? What is your first language?

3. jattitude

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the reply. Not URM, from Pakistan- first languages were urdu and punjabi. Moved to states 10 years ago.

4. candbgirl

candbgirl Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Where do you live? You have an awful lot of state schools on your list. Most of them prefer IS residents( and that is why their stats may be a bit lower). Do you have the MSAR? If not you should buy it and use it to develop your list. Are you applying this cycle? It's getting really late!

5. jattitude

Pre-Medical
    I took out Indiana and Missouri-Kansas city. But other than that, are there any specific schools you were referring to?

Alaska residency, btw. Applying this cycle.

#5 jattitude, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Remove the state public schools where you are not a resident (other than U Washington) including Michigan State, EVMS,, Missouri, Indiana, Central Michigan, West Virginia, Marshall, Cooper. Add these schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
    Jefferson
    Tulane
    California Northstate
    Also apply to at least 10 DO schools and you should be competitive for most DO schools.

candbgirl likes this.
  7. jattitude

Pre-Medical
    Reasons I didn't add these:
    Jefferson: They average your mcat scores.
    Tulane: Their average mcat is 33, with 10%ile being 30 and 9 verbal, which I thought was way out of my range. You think its still worth a shot?
    California Northstate: There were too many controversies surrounding this school.

8. jattitude

Pre-Medical
    I was under the assumption that Michigan State, Central Michigan, WVU, Cooper and Marshall took a decent amount of OOSers, can someone confirm/deny? And if anyone can suggest DO school list (along US East coast), will greatly appreciate it.

btw, updated list:
    Albany
    Central Michigan
    Cooper
    Commonwealth
    Creighton
    Drexel
    George Washington
    Marshall Edwards
    MC Wisconsin
    Michigan State
    NYMC
    Oakland
    Penn State
    Quinnipiac
    Rosalind Franklin
    Rush
    Temple
    UWashington
    VCU
    West Virginia
    Western Michigan

#8 jattitude, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some of those state schools do accept a fair number of OOS applicants but they are the applicants with high GPA's, high MCAT scores or they have some connection to the state (attended undergrad in the state, legacy status, significant other from the state or attending the school).

jattitude likes this.
  10. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For DO schools consider:
    PCOM
    LECOM (both schools)
    TUORO-COM
    NYIT
    VCOM-VC
    WVSOM
    PCOM-GEORGIA
    CUSOM
    NSU-COM

jattitude likes this.
  11. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I actually wonder about this. If you go percentile yes 124 correlates to 44th percentile which on the old MCAT was an 8 and 125 is 58th percentile which correlates to a 9 on the old scale. But maybe ADCOMs don't think this way or just equate a low 8 to a 7 and a low 9 to an 8. I'd be interested to hear from any ADCOMS how they view this.

Furthermore, maybe ADCOMs look at 118-132 as the new 1-15 and if they do that then by counting 124 equates to a 7 and 125 equates to an 8. @gyngyn or @Goro any input on how ADCOMs will view 124's and 125 type scores?

jattitude likes this.