Medical Apply this cycle or do postbacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm really in a bind. I want to avoid taking a gap year as much as possible, but I've had some unforseen circumstances. I came in a bioengineering major which ruined my gpa freshman year. Since then I've been on an upward trend and raised it to a 3.45. This summer I'm also retaking two classes (which were C's on my science gpa) which i'm hoping will raise my gpa to at least a 3.5. It's a 3.45 cgpa and 3.4 sgpa. I was supposed to take my MCAT last summer but ended up hurting my knee which delayed me taking it to this summer. I've been studying really hard and am thinking I will get in the 510-515 range. I don't want to delay sending in my AMCAS application, but some people have said it's fine to send it in without MCAT scores. Others have said schools will just throw away my application without an MCAT score. I'm afraid if I wait until after the scores come out it will be too late. I have been working in a research lab the past three hours, have many letters of rec from doctors and professors, and a lot of clincial and non-clincial volunteering hours. So, the only thing is that my gpa is on the lower side and i'm waiting for my MCAT score. Any advice?

My top school choices for MD are: Drexel, Temple, Commonwealth Medical College Rosalind Franklin (I'm a PA resident)

Thank You
Aside from applying to a throwaway school (like CNU) in order to get verified, it is foolish to apply without an MCAT score.

What are your GPAs for your JR and SR year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I'm really in a bind. I want to avoid taking a gap year as much as possible, ...

Why do you want to avoid taking a gap year? If you really want to do anything to get into medical school and succeed as a physician, your motivation should include this option. There are many applicants, med students, and doctors you'll rub shoulders with who took gap years before starting medical school. You have a lower GPA and a harder major; some schools will take that into account but you still have to show you are prepared for the challenges of medical education personally as well as academically.

Status
Not open for further replies.