Apply this cycle or gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1132447

Demographics: Asian female from FL

Year: Junior majoring in health science at a Top 5 public university

GPA: 3.77 cGPA, not sure about my sGPA yet

MCAT: I'm scheduled to take it on 3/25, but I've been scoring ~499 on AAMC FLs.

Research:
~265 hours in one lab, 1 publication soon to come
~84 hours in current lab (~40 more hours by end of May)

**I also worked in a lab at a university the summer after my junior year in high school for 6 weeks with 20 hours/week. By the end of the 6 weeks, I had written a paper, made a poster & presented it at a symposium. Could I count this since it was a wet lab w/ actual research experience? Or no because it's not done in college?**

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
~324 hours (~150 more hours by end of May) - includes scribing, volunteering w/ underserved communities

Shadowing:
~50 hours at the same private clinic I had scribed at
~143.5 hours done virtually w/ a variety of specialties

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
~237 hours, working w/ underserved communities

**I also volunteered as a math instructor the two summers leading up to when I started college for ~168 hours total. Can I count this towards my overall volunteering hours as well (since I continued with it until the summer right before I started college)?**

Work Experience:
~32 hours as a note-taker

Leadership Experience:
- External Vice President for 1 pre-health org
- Secretary for volunteering org (2 years)
- Multimedia Director for volunteering org
- Vice Chair for high school mentorship org
- Teaching Assistant for Gen Chem 1 & 2 (2 semesters)
- Co-Founder & Director of Operations for volunteering org
- Head Program Coordinator & Director of Resource Development for clinic

My thoughts/concerns:
I'm unsure whether I should "shoot my shot" and apply this cycle or take a gap year to strengthen the weaker parts of my application. I initially really wanted to go straight into medical school after I graduate from college, so I was considering applying even though I know my application isn't at its peak. I'm most worried about my low MCAT score & letters of recommendations (which I don’t think will be the strongest since I haven't made REALLY good connections w/ any of my professors yet). I thought that the other parts of my applications were alright, so I was thinking about applying to mostly DO schools and just shoot my shot with those. However, I'm also worried that if I get rejected this cycle that I will have to end up taking 2 gap years since I most likely won't apply again until the year after my senior year (is that the right logic since it'll take time to revamp my application?). I could be wrong about this logic, please let me know if that's the case! Please give me advice on what to do - thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your application looks great; it is all dependent on your MCAT score at this point

However, scoring 499 on FL is usually grounds for disaster on test day. Be weary of taking the exam with your practice scores that low. If you score >500 though, then I would apply for sure.

Hey! Are you a fellow Gator?
Agreed with above, this is all dependent on MCAT strategy.
While you have a strong GPA for most DO schools, I would personally practice more and wait until >500+ on FL's.
If you are set on applying, I would prepare everything else and wait for the score and aim for a 505+ for a solid chance.
If there's anything in particular you want to review or ask about, feel free to DM.

Reactions: 1 user