Apply this cycle or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evooo8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if you guys think it is worth it for me to apply this cycle still.
Current stats are cGPA 3.16 sGPA 3.35 MCAT scheduled for August.
I have approximately 300 shadowing hours from 2 different MDs. one pediatrician and one OB/GYN
I have around 300 hours volunteering in a convalescent home with their rehab department.
I have 2 semester of o chem and 1 semester of bio left to complete.

My hope is to get into Western, but I understand if my application looks a little weak. I would prefer to stay on the west coast but if I have to go to school on the east coast then I will.
Please let me know if you think I should apply this cycle of wait until next cycle. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Push whatever doubts you have aside and go for it. What's the worst thing that could happen? You get a rejection? Big deal. Make some adjustments and try again.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your practice MCAT scores? If you are not getting over 28 consistently (and over 30 would be better), you should consider waiting until next cycle, retake some F/D/C coursework and use grade replacement to raise your GPA. You don't want to reapply, you want to get in on the first shot. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
For Western, you are a bit light on the science side, but I don't think it's ever a guarantee and should consider if giving up a year is worth it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I guess the next question is, should I submit my application now or wait until my MCAT score is in?
I haven't taken any practice exams yet. Going to start taking them pretty heavily in July. Just wanna make sure I know as much as I can so I don't waste any of the practice exams.

Submit now to one school you wouldn't feel terrible about losing (i.e. not COMP) just to get the rest of your app verified. It'll save you time in the long run. After your scores come in, then add the rest pf your schools. FYI it'll cost an additional $15 or so to do that (for most people though that's usually a drop in the bucket compared tp how much they're going to spend on the cycle).

Once you are done with the actual reviewing part, get through as many of the practice exams as you possibly can. Take them at the same time of day and in the same conditions you plan to take the real thing. Work hard, get a high score and apply and send in secondaries as soon as you get them (1-2 day turn around). You're already going to be a bit late (Sept), so it really needs to be a top priority for you at that point.

Submit now to one school you wouldn't feel terrible about losing (i.e. not COMP) just to get the rest of your app verified. It'll save you time in the long run. After your scores come in, then add the rest pf your schools. FYI it'll cost an additional $15 or so to do that (for most people though that's usually a drop in the bucket compared tp how much they're going to spend on the cycle).

Once you are done with the actual reviewing part, get through as many of the practice exams as you possibly can. Take them at the same time of day and in the same conditions you plan to take the real thing. Work hard, get a high score and apply and send in secondaries as soon as you get them (1-2 day turn around). You're already going to be a bit late (Sept), so it really needs to be a top priority for you at that point.
I hear this advice given a lot but I don't understand why. Is the idea to wait until you get your score before you apply so you don't waste time/money applying to schools where your score is not competitive? If so, if we're confident we can score 29+, can't we just apply everywhere from day 1?

I hear this advice given a lot but I don't understand why. Is the idea to wait until you get your score before you apply so you don't waste time/money applying to schools where your score is not competitive? If so, if we're confident we can score 29+, can't we just apply everywhere from day 1?

Yes, that's the logic. And also to avoid becoming a reapplicant in the following cycle should you not perform well on the first MCAT and not gain an admission (though I don't believe that being a reapplicant necessarily has to hurt you, as long as you improve upon your application, experiences and MCAT). Application costs add up so why waste so much money and apply with a poor MCAT score, ya know?

Yeah, if you're consistently averaging an MCAT score of 29+ after at least three practice exams, then it should give you a good idea of how you'll do on the real thing. Though I've read here on SDN that it's common for your real MCAT score to drop 2-3pts below your AAMC practice test scores.

Either way, you'd want to get your primary verified as soon as you can to save you time down the road. That way, when your MCAT score is released, you can immediately update your application and have the score sent to your desired schools. But you likely won't receive any secondary apps until your MCAT score has been updated.

Thanks for the info guys! What do you think my MCAT cut off should be in order for it to still be worth applying this cycle. Realistically I think I will get a 28 but I'm aiming for 30+

That's one aspect. But really another is that some adcoms are terrible with updating and re-reviewing apps if they are incomplete when they are first submitted. Some may throw you in a hold pile, and others might never update your file, whereas some update them right away. Rather than hope that they have things in order, a lot of times its safer just to send them the app at one time, complete.

To give you an example, one place I applied to didn't update my app for over a month until I actually got a hold of them and told them about it. With other places, I knew they updated because I suddenly started getting new secondaries.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on my GPA what MCAT do you think I need in order for it to be worth still applying. I'm aiming for 28

Based on my GPA what MCAT do you think I need in order for it to be worth still applying. I'm aiming for 28
There's no real way to tell what MCAT you will need as the whole process is very unpredictable. To be safe for western, I suppose 28+ is probably acceptable... but that's just based on there average.

Apply. Worst case you'll be a reapplicant. Reapplicants typically have better chances of getting in.

But you should be able to least get into LECOM.....

...har har.

Apply. Worst case you'll be a reapplicant. Reapplicants typically have better chances of getting in.

But you should be able to least get into LECOM.....

...har har.

LOL why LECOM? the thread that publishes the stats for DO schools shows that LECOM's GPA and MCAT average is like in the middle of all the DO schools. It does not necessarily have the lowest stats in the DO school's spectrum.

LOL why LECOM? the thread that publishes the stats for DO schools shows that LECOM's GPA and MCAT average is like in the middle of all the DO schools. It does not necessarily have the lowest stats in the DO school's spectrum.

Maybe they mean LUCOM (Liberty)... Looks like LECOM is going to get some backlash from the relatively similar name.

What schools should I be looking to get into with my stats? Any schools easier to get into?

Honestly if you have the money, go for it. At the very least you will get feedback from perspective schools about what you need to do. Then, next year you can come back with a better app. Monetary reasons aside I've never understood why people wait the extra year. Plus if you get in you can put the stress of premed life behind you and be content with a B. You'll be living the dream man.

You haven't competed the absolute basic pre-requisite science courses. I'm not trying to be mean but it makes me wonder whether you will be able to pass OChem.

I think it's a waste of money plus you will be worrying throughout this entire upcoming year all while what you need to be doing is studying for OChem. What do you think you are gonna get on MCAT having never taken OChem and only a semester of Bio?

You haven't competed the absolute basic pre-requisite science courses. I'm not trying to be mean but it makes me wonder whether you will be able to pass OChem.

I think it's a waste of money plus you will be worrying throughout this entire upcoming year all while what you need to be doing is studying for OChem. What do you think you are gonna get on MCAT having never taken OChem and only a semester of Bio?
I've taken a year of physics and year of general chem. Only missig organic and one semester bio. What have I told you about my classes that makes you assume that I will not pass Organic?

So far 28 on my first practice. Verbal is definitely my weakness.

I've taken a year of physics and year of general chem. Only missig organic and one semester bio. What have I told you about my classes that makes you assume that I will not pass Organic?

So far 28 on my first practice. Verbal is definitely my weakness.

Honestly, I wouldn't go based off of my practice scores. You can do better or worse than what you're scoring on PTs, you won't know unless you take the mcat and get your official score back.

28 was TPR practice exam. I wanted to do TPR first since they are supposedly harder then move to the AAMC ones.