Apply this cycle or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What to do?

• Apply now to 15 schools

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Apply to a few schools- home state

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Wait until next cycle

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Paul J

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a University of Miami 2016 graduate.
GPA 3.8 - Science is about 3.7
New MCAT --> 7/22/16 ( preparation is not going as I planned considering life circumstances)
Shadowing over 200 hours( different specialties)
Volunteer ( mostly non medical ) 200 hours
School leadership ( vice president and president of two different organizations(one prehealth, and one non health related))
Research ( 1 medical >80 hours, 1 conservation ecology >40)
Gap Year--> City year Chicago Americorp
Home state is FL

Current application status- rec letters all in, transcripts in, personal statement almost ready, activities section almost ready.

I was planning on submitting my application around July 10th, so by the time my score is out everything is verified. However, I had a family loss and it has affected me emotionally, and I am bit concerned with my timeline.

My current options ( I qualify for FAP program so I have 15 free schools)
1) Continue to push through and apply to all the schools I want and hope for the best
2) Apply to a few schools
3) Wait until next year- which will be a bit disappointing considering I will have another gap year- If I go that route I will start medical school at 22 turning 23.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

FAP is good for two years. Postpone your application.
Also you should only take the MCAT when you are 100% ready. If you are still affected by your family loss, postpone the MCAT as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Postpone for a year, kill the MCAT (postpone that too if you need more time to study), beef up volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), maybe do some research if that's your interest, and get more life experience before applying. You do NOT want to rush this and compromise quality for speed. Medical schools will still exist a year from now, and you can submit your new, improved application then.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
postpone! don't rush and sacrifice quality.

Hello!
I am a University of Miami 2016 graduate.
GPA 3.8 - Science is about 3.7
New MCAT --> 7/22/16 ( preparation is not going as I planned considering life circumstances)
Shadowing over 200 hours( different specialties)
Volunteer ( mostly non medical ) 200 hours
School leadership ( vice president and president of two different organizations(one prehealth, and one non health related))
Research ( 1 medical >80 hours, 1 conservation ecology >40)
Gap Year--> City year Chicago Americorp
Home state is FL

Current application status- rec letters all in, transcripts in, personal statement almost ready, activities section almost ready.

I was planning on submitting my application around July 10th, so by the time my score is out everything is verified. However, I had a family loss and it has affected me emotionally, and I am bit concerned with my timeline.

My current options ( I qualify for FAP program so I have 15 free schools)
1) Continue to push through and apply to all the schools I want and hope for the best
2) Apply to a few schools
3) Wait until next year- which will be a bit disappointing considering I will have another gap year- If I go that route I will start medical school at 22 turning 23.

Thank You!

I would apply this cycle IF you are confident that you will get a strong MCAT score and you are not very picky about your choices.

Disagree with everyone. Solid stats. Take the MCAT. Apply everywhere