Apply this upcoming cycle or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have some questions about when exactly to apply. I graduated from college in spring 2012, and I attended a post-bacc to raise my GPA and did well (3.82 in all science classes, making my sGPA 3.47, cGPA 3.57, and non-science 3.78). Since graduating, I've been working around ~80 hours a week to rebuild my finances so that I could be able to apply wisely. I still have to retake the MCAT, which will hopefully take place this summer if I apply for this upcoming cycle.

However, because I've been working so much, I've also been slacking in shadowing and volunteering. I recently picked up again with volunteering at a hospital and should have around 75 hours by August, and I volunteer with a rabbit rescue as well. I have also gotten in contact with some physicians so I have some recently shadowing experience. I will have around 80 hours by August. I don't know if these hours are enough to have a successful application cycle, or should I wait another year to make sure my application is super solid before I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

if you retake MCAT and earn 26 + then I think you shuld be good enough to apply. Idk if your work is medical related or not but you should be enough to get ii and hopefully an acceptance.

What is your current MCAT? If I were you I would apply this upcoming cycle. As stated above score above 26 or the 2015 equivalent of 26 and you should be fine.

Hello all,

I have some questions about when exactly to apply. I graduated from college in spring 2012, and I attended a post-bacc to raise my GPA and did well (3.82 in all science classes, making my sGPA 3.47, cGPA 3.57, and non-science 3.78). Since graduating, I've been working around ~80 hours a week to rebuild my finances so that I could be able to apply wisely. I still have to retake the MCAT, which will hopefully take place this summer if I apply for this upcoming cycle.

However, because I've been working so much, I've also been slacking in shadowing and volunteering. I recently picked up again with volunteering at a hospital and should have around 75 hours by August, and I volunteer with a rabbit rescue as well. I have also gotten in contact with some physicians so I have some recently shadowing experience. I will have around 80 hours by August. I don't know if these hours are enough to have a successful application cycle, or should I wait another year to make sure my application is super solid before I apply?

Yeah. You shouldn't wait. You can get in this year if you play your cards right.