Apply this year or next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicman123

UCSF c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already asked this question in the WAMC thread, and although someone (whose status wavers among podiatrist, vet student, health student, and dentist) responded, I'd like to get other people's suggestions. I recently graduated from Rice as a non-science major, and I've already completed the prereqs for liberal arts (english, humanities, social science), math, orgo, gen chem, and bio. I still need to take an extra biology lab, human physiology/anatomy, physics, and microbiology. I plan to take these at a community college, but I want to make sure I can get into these classes first. Once completing these, I should be able to apply to 6-10 schools. Would you guys suggest applying this year or next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, Im in the same situation as musicman. I plan to take science courses during this summer, fall and spring of next year, Im confident that i will have them all completed by next spring. I want to start pharmacy school in the fall of 2010. As for the PCAT, I probabally wont be able to sit for it until next early next year. So the question is, should i apply this year or next? What are the advantages and disadvantages if any? thanks.

Hi everyone, Im in the same situation as musicman. I plan to take science courses during this summer, fall and spring of next year, Im confident that i will have them all completed by next spring. I want to start pharmacy school in the fall of 2010. As for the PCAT, I probabally wont be able to sit for it until next early next year. So the question is, should i apply this year or next? What are the advantages and disadvantages if any? thanks.

I think you should apply this year if all of your prerep. will be done by Spring 10.

Advantage: you can start pharm. school one year earlier if you pass, or learn about where you are in the competition in case you fail, and you can finish your application early if you need to reapply.
Disadvantage: application needs time, a lot of time, especially for the personal statement. And off course, application fee also!!!

Are you applying to schools that require the PCAT? If so, where does that fall in your schedule? If I've understood correctly, you would need to take it before applying to any school that has a PCAT requirement.

Would your application look better if you apply next year over this year? For example, how's your GPA / would the classes you have left significantly improve it? (If your GPA's already OK for the schools you want, I'd say don't hold off for that reason.) How's your EC lookin' / would it get significantly better by waiting? (Again, don't hold off for this reason only... Might as well try at least your school of choice this year, in my opinion. Some people get in with NO ECs.)