????Apply to CA-1 during intern year????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacytechguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In case my question may seem "stupid" I must say that I am just an udergraduate student right now.

I am wondering if it is possible to apply to a CA-1 position during PGY-1 year (prelim/transitonal, etc)?

Is this quite common?

Members don't see this ad.

not common but not unheard of. the people who do so either did not match into anesthesiology on the first try, did not know they wanted to do anesthesiology the first time through the match so only did TYs or prelim years, or decided they wanted to switch from another field into anesthesiology. I think it is MUCH easier as an 4th year med student...many med schools give you time off to interview, etc. TY/prelim programs are not likely to be as easy to interview during.
but hey, one step at a time... so go study so you can get into med school ;-)

I matched during my TY year. I applied into radiology and IM as a 4th year student and decided neither was for me. An anesthesia resident where I went to medical school told me to go the TY route, do a few electives (my program had 4 months), and then apply. It was a little trickier but my TY program was great. I took Rad Onc during Dec and ED during Jan (something like 10 12 hour shifts is all I needed to do and I was able to request days off before hand). Rad Onc let me take off whenever I wanted to.

It was starting to get harder my year (I am now a CA-1) since more and more programs seem to be going the categorical route. By the time you go through, I bet there will be many more categorical spots and less advanced.