Apply with a Bachelor? and how to pay? etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

Hi all,
I'm very new to UK programs so please help me out! AFAIK, all med schools in the UK only list high school grade requirements... I have already had a Bachelor and I took the MCAT; how are they gonna judge that?

Second, are you qualified for US federal student loans when you study in the UK? Or does the UK offer any financial aid at all?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend GEM programs as they are 4 years long and I believe it would be best suited to someone with a BS

King's College London - It accepts Americans with a science background and a 2.i or higher (you will need a high UKCAT). KCL will also consider you for the 5 year program when you apply to their GEM program
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/und...sional-entry-programme/alpha/m/header_search/

Warwick University - It accepts Internationals and it is the largest GEM program 170 places (you will also need a high UKCAT) It is also a GEM only school.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/courseinfo/

Edinburgh University - It accepts the MCAT only, since you've done it, it might be worth applying if your MCAT is good since your GPA may hold you back a bit. They are a pretty competitive school in general.
They require a 3.4 GPA and a MCAT of at least 10,9,10,M
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/north-america/usa/pg-entry
These are statistics for Edinburgh
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.162587!/fileManager/Disclosure of Information.pdf

St. George's, University of London - They accept the MCAT or GAMSAT with a minimum of 24 for the MCAT and a 3.0 GPA. It is the international program everyone has been talking about. The normal A101 program is not open to internationals unfortunately. On the plus side you will have 2 years in the US doing rotations. In my opinion this is your best shot program and probably one you should apply to even if its not your first choice, as a safety.
http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/...st/international-graduate-medicine-mbbs4.aspx

Bart's and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry - They are competitive, they want a 3.6 GPA and UKCAT
http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A101/index.html

Oxford University - They require a minimum 3.5 GPA, want scholastic talent (which in my opinion is a code word for research and genuine interest in the research side of medicine) and they want you to sit the BMAT. Highly competitive school nonetheless

Imperial College London - They have moved to a 5 year GEM program recently, they accept internationals, I know one person who went there (was a sister of a colleague) for the 4 year GEM program and matched back to Toronto. You must sit the BMAT though.

The other schools all seem to want only allow UK/EU students or want you to have a UK 2.1 degree (Bristol), you might want to ask up Bristol to see if they want a UK degree or are willing to accept a US equivalent.

These are the only GEM programs (Edinburgh's is a 5 year undergrad) that accept Internationals. I think if you are serious about the UK you will need to consider 5 year programs as well as they all accept a certain amount of internationals except Oxford (only accepts 1 or 2 a year).

GEM programs in my opinion are much more competitive but at the same time they also tend to be more open about applicants with other qualities, so its difficult to say your chances. I would strongly consider writing the UKCAT, the BMAT if you really feel you have a good shot at BMAT unis and apply diversely, once you have your UKCAT score out, you will have a better idea of whether or not Barts or King's will even consider you. Its important to do well on the UKCAT since almost all the undergraduate programs require it.

This is something I wrote for someone considering the UK for medical school. I hope this helps.

You'll often have to go to the US/International students entry requirements page for entry requirements for the standard 5 year programs. Generally though, 5 year programs will look at your high school grades as well as your uni grades as they do that for the UK students.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your thorough reply!

One thing that is so hard to find on all UK med school websites is the application itself. Could anyone please link me to the application of any UK school that doesn't require the BMAT/UKCAT? I'd really appreciate it!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your thorough reply!

One thing that is so hard to find on all UK med school websites is the application itself. Could anyone please link me to the application of any UK school that doesn't require the BMAT/UKCAT? I'd really appreciate it!!!

That is because you don't fill out individual applications for each school. You apply with one common application and then select the programs you want to apply to. The system set up for UK schools is UCAS. (www.UCAS.com). This is very similar to how you apply to med schools or law schools in the U.S., and it makes it so much easier. The website is very user friendly, and you can also find other resources about the process online if you have some fun with googling different topics concerning UCAS. The website itself has guides to applying, including videos, even for international applications. The application cycle is different, and i believe it is too late to apply for 2015 entry. For medicine, I believe the deadline for most, if not all schools, is mid-October, the year prior to entry. Also, the application opens up about a month before the deadline.

Hope this helps and points you in the right direction. Good luck...and Cheers!

Thanks a lot!

Do you know if there is UK application fee waiver?

You'll often have to go to the US/International students entry requirements page for entry requirements for the standard 5 year programs. Generally though, 5 year programs will look at your high school grades as well as your uni grades as they do that for the UK students.
If I want to apply to both 4-year and 5-year programs at the same uni., will I have to turn in 2 applications?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot!

Do you know if there is UK application fee waiver?

If I want to apply to both 4-year and 5-year programs at the same uni., will I have to turn in 2 applications?

Some unis like I mentioned above, will consider you for the 5 year program if you apply to their 4 year program, but other won't.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/north-america/usa/pg-entry

This is the link for Edinburgh's USA/Canada medicine page.

I don't think they'll waive the fees, why would you want the fees to be waived? It shouldn't be too expensive and if you can afford to study in the UK a few hundred bucks should be the least of your concerns at that point.

Well, I want to save as much money (and spend as little) as possible :D
Thanks for answering ;)

can someone explain to me what "2:1 (2:2) honours degree" means??

can someone explain to me what "2:1 (2:2) honours degree" means??

A 2:1 is upper 2nd class honours degree and a 2:2 is a lower 2nd class honours degree. Basically they are ways to classify degrees that are used in Britain.

The conversion is really variable some say a 1st is a 3.7-4.0 while others say a 1st is a 4.0. While a upper 2nd is generally considered a 3.5-3.7 or a 3.3-3.7 and a lower second is somewhat below that.

Reactions: 1 users
If I already have a Bachelor, can I apply to undergraduate medical programs? For example, Liverpool requires a high school transcript with certain score: https://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/International2013.pdf. If that's all they require for admissions, am I expected to submit my college transcript as well - if I'm eligible?

Hmm i'm not sure, i think its best to ask them. Tell them you are a grad and ask them if they require your college transcripts as well in that case.

I'm browsing UCAS website and being confused: Am I suppose to fill out an application for UNDERGRADUATE entry - even though some UK med schools offer graduate entry (e.g., Edinburgh)?

Do you know if American students can borrow federal loans to study at a UK med school (non-Atlantic Bridge)?

Also, it looks like 2016 entry application isn't open yet. Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm browsing UCAS website and being confused: Am I suppose to fill out an application for UNDERGRADUATE entry - even though some UK med schools offer graduate entry (e.g., Edinburgh)?

Do you know if American students can borrow federal loans to study at a UK med school (non-Atlantic Bridge)?

Also, it looks like 2016 entry application isn't open yet. Am I right?

Yes - UCAS forms need to be filled out for all UK courses (undergrad and grad)

For the UK - 2016 apps can be made from Sept, deadline is October

I believe you should be filling out for undergraduate entry.

Just want to confirm/ correct me if I'm wrong: I heard that Birmingham didn't require the UKCAT or GAMSAT last year for international students, but they do require it this year...

Just want to confirm/ correct me if I'm wrong: I heard that Birmingham didn't require the UKCAT or GAMSAT last year for international students, but they do require it this year...

Oh wow, they may have changed their requirements, best source is the uni's admissions department next best source is the uni admissions website. Everything else is hearsay.

I did look at their website: seems like they only have Undergrad program in Medicine. Scroll down for entry requirements for Internationals: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements

Yeah then it will be as they say, with big changes they tend to explain them. Birmingham is off the table for those not writing the UKCAT. Honestly, UKCAT is something everyone applying to UK med should write, with this I believe the number of non-UKCAT schools drops to 2. Bristol and Liverpool, and both schools at least for their UG's tend to be very competitive even among UK students because many with good grades but poor UKCATs will apply there.