Apply without a DO letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODST

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I got my MCAT score in late August and I have squandered my time since then and accomplished nothing. I do not have a DO letter, but I have shadowed a DO. My medical volunteering and shadowing is fine. MCAT and GPA are higher than the median at any DO school. I'm only worried about not having a letter. Do you think I will be fine if I just apply now?

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted without a DO or MD letter. You should be fine unless it's a requirement for one of the DO schools you want to attend.

Reactions: 1 users
I got accepted without a DO or MD letter. You should be fine unless it's a requirement for one of the DO schools you want to attend.
Good to know. Thanks and congratulations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I got my MCAT score in late August and I have squandered my time since then and accomplished nothing. I do not have a DO letter, but I have shadowed a DO. My medical volunteering and shadowing is fine. MCAT and GPA are higher than the median at any DO school. I'm only worried about not having a letter. Do you think I will be fine if I just apply now?
You'll be fine.

Which school accepted you without either? I was under the impression that schools required a physician LOR.

Were there other schools that said they didn't require a physician LOR when applying?
Yes:
  • LECOM
  • LECOM Bradenton
  • MSUCOM
  • OU-HCOM
  • PCOM
  • NYITCOM
  • RowanSOM
  • TCOM
  • UNECOM

Reactions: 1 users
I had an MD LOR for DO app. I was accepted at all the DOs I applied to.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted into both NSU-KCOM and CUSOM w/o a DO letter of rec! So it is possible, but if you have the time it is suggested to collect one.