Apply without getting your undergrad completed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

I graduated from a really good community college then left on a mission (in mexico)for the LDS Church. I was gone for two years (and don't regret anything). I just came back and and am preparing to med school. My problem is that I still need to take all my science classes and start on my undergrad. I was thinking about accounting. This is my question. Should I just forget about graduating and just focus on getting straight A's in science, obtaining lots of clinical experience and a really good Mcat score? Most people from my generation are already starting medical school. Besides, I really don't want to wait another three years to have a degree I won't even use after med school. I think that I could take all my science classes in the next year and a half, including summer school. But on the other side, how awesome would it be to be a doctor with a degree in accounting? That could open up alot of opportunities.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from a really good community college then left on a mission (in mexico)for the LDS Church. I was gone for two years (and don't regret anything). I just came back and and am preparing to med school. My problem is that I still need to take all my science classes and start on my undergrad. I was thinking about accounting. This is my question. Should I just forget about graduating and just focus on getting straight A's in science, obtaining lots of clinical experience and a really good Mcat score? Most people from my generation are already starting medical school. Besides, I really don't want to wait another three years to have a degree I won't even use after med school. I think that I could take all my science classes in the next year and a half, including summer school. But on the other side, how awesome would it be to be a doctor with a degree in accounting? That could open up alot of opportunities.
I would recommend finishing your BS or BA. Some schools do not technically require you to have a college degree. But if you look in the MSAR, nearly all of the students at most schools have BS or BA degrees when they matriculate unless they are in a BS/MD combined program. (If you have excellent CC grades and SAT scores, transferring into one of those programs might be an option that is open to you.) Look at it this way: you have to take more classes for 1.5 to 2 years before you can apply to med school anyway. That's plenty of time to amass the necessary credits to finish a BS. So if I were you, I'd find out which majors you could finish in two years, pick one of those, and just get the job done. Take some accounting classes as electives if you want.

the good thing about haveing an associates (as i know from having one and transferring) is that most schools have a policy about if you have your associates that your first two years of prereqs are satisfied. there may be a few courses you have to make up depending on what your intended major is and also what your current degree is in. keep in mind that if you go anything other than the bio route you will have to take all the science courses anyway so it will add to your course schedule.
i would call the school you are interested in attending and see if you can get a sit down meeting with the pre-med advisor. sit down and talk with him/her and bring your classes and see if the wto of you can work out a general course plan to be finished in a few years..it may require summer classes and 5-7 classes a semester to finish but it can be doable.