apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petrichor1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am not holding on hope for any MD acceptance after, for whatever reason, I did not get any acceptance out of my interviews. Now I am worried that I might not have paid attention to DO schools which might have been a better focus. I am admitted into a fairly less established school that is DO. I got another acceptance which I turned down since the deposits are craaazy to support 2. The other school was more established but I just felt better with my current one. I was initially inclined to go the primary care route (mainly because hearing from people about surgery made me worried about pursuing any higher). However, something made me turn around and take my primary interests of a surgical subspecialty more seriously. I received emails from KCU early in the cycle but decided not to apply due to financial but saw that their match list had almost every specialty imaginable. The school I have been admitted to does not have home residency for the specialty I want. Could this adversely affect me in the future? I am more than happy to be a primary care physician because I want the autonomy that comes with that. However, I also think that I am not making the right decision. With the merger, I don't want to decline my seat. Personally I am looking for solace in my decision and want to find out what I should do best in order to seek the right opportunities when I am attending classes in medical school.
Does medical school name really matter? Do you think it is too late to apply to a school like KCU?
I know that perhaps I was invited to MD interviews because of the well-known faculty from my university that recommended me but then I think about the result and while I did get in the door with the interview, I was ultimately declined the seat.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the name of the school I mention doesn't make any difference. It is fairly new and does not have the length of duration in establishment as other schools do. However, I predict that it will perform really well in the future like RVU has done. But I also take note that schools which are not even well ranked in midwestern have somehow produced amazing match list so I gather that for RVU it is the midwestern effect taking place. I think based off of potential is why I chose my current school; however, its locality does not make me assume that it will have the surgical matches one would find related to RVU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol your post isn't making sense. No one know how the merger will go and for DO your matches depend a lot on you. If you get the board scores, research, and audition well then matching is a possibility from all DOs

Reactions: 1 users
Lol your post isn't making sense. No one know how the merger will go and for DO your matches depend a lot on you. If you get the board scores, research, and audition well then matching is a possibility from all DOs
I know I was rambling but I just wanted to know the impact of having home residencies for your specialty.

I know I was rambling but I just wanted to know the impact of having home residencies for your specialty.

It's a big advantage. The issue is that most DO schools don't have this. Even if they have an OPTI those programs don't have the same sort of obligation or desire to take students from the affiliated school. Only the state schools and PCOM have this benefit. That said it isn't necessary.

Unless you get into one of the state schools it doesn't really matter where you go honestly, just work hard to have the CV necessary for the residency/specialty you want.

Thanks everyone. I didn't apply to any programs such as PCOM and MSUCOM because I didn't know how they would be for me fit-wise. Even though I am confident one of them would have given me an interview, I just didn't apply for some reason. Either it was the expensive tuition or something else, I don't know. Anyways, I am following my gut feeling without any stats supporting my decision.

Thanks everyone. I didn't apply to any programs such as PCOM and MSUCOM because I didn't know how they would be for me fit-wise. Even though I am confident one of them would have given me an interview, I just didn't apply for some reason. Either it was the expensive tuition or something else, I don't know. Anyways, I am following my gut feeling without any stats supporting my decision.

There are differences between the newer schools. Some are in better shape than others so which school is it? We'd be able to give you better advice more specific to your situation.

Reactions: 2 users