Applying after bad DAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patricklin27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I apply this June 2013 after a bad DAT score and I plan on retaking the DAT late June (after I applied), will they wait to see my most recent DAT score or will they just look at my most recent DAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

If I apply this June 2013 after a bad DAT score and I plan on retaking the DAT late June (after I applied), will they wait to see my most recent DAT score or will they just look at my most recent DAT score?

There is a spot on the AADSAS application where you indicate your future DAT exam date. They will wait to make a decision on your app until they receive the new scores (That is assuming you retake before their app. deadlines). But they will all still see your current scores.

So lets say I plan on retaking the DAT in Sept and I apply early June. They will wait all the way until September to make a decision on your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
So lets say I plan on retaking the DAT in Sept and I apply early June. They will wait all the way until September to make a decision on your application?

Yes, I applied with bad scores and then retook in August. Just to be safe I sent an email to all of my schools telling them I was retaking and asked if they would wait to make a decision until my new scores were released. But I am pretty sure this was overkill, I believe indicating you plan to retake on AADSAS is plenty. I was just a little worried because my scores were really bad. It worked out great, all of the schools were fine with this. The only down side was waiting so long to get interview invites.

In order to prevent the situation you described, take the DAT in April and if you do not do well, you should be prepared to take the DAT in July and still be considered an early applicant for the 2013 cycle.

Good luck!

In order to prevent the situation you described, take the DAT in April and if you do not do well, you should be prepared to take the DAT in July and still be considered an early applicant for the 2013 cycle.

Good luck!

Yeup. I actually took my DAT in March, in case I needed to retake it so I could take it early July. That 3 month wait is really a killer, but try not to take it more than once if you have to, because you have to maintain or do better in all the sections, IMO. Also, keep in mind that it'll take a week or so at least for AADSAS to receive your DAT score, so make sure that everything else is completed and received by AADSAS so your score is the only thing that they're waiting on. Far too many people were waiting for LOR's to get in, or transcripts (transcript verification takes at least 1-2 weeks after they've been received). Good luck!