Applying Again After Expulsion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RKR346282

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was expelled from medical school in 2019 because of harassment I couldn't handle because of an active illness. I'm hoping to apply again. It's been 3 years and no other career speaks to my passion. I think of medicine as my passion.

I was curious if any of you had helpful thoughts? I really don't want to take the MCAT again after taking a year of medical school courses.

Thank you,
RK

Members don't see this ad.

Just based on what you've said, I think if you changed your outlook on life you'd be happier doing something else, in all honesty.

A quote from the Twilight series says something like, "Sometimes, you gotta learn to love what's good for you."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

I was expelled from medical school in 2019 because of harassment I couldn't handle because of an active illness. I'm hoping to apply again. It's been 3 years and no other career speaks to my passion. I think of medicine as my passion.

I was curious if any of you had helpful thoughts? I really don't want to take the MCAT again after taking a year of medical school courses.

Thank you,
RK
It will be a significant challenge to explain a dismissal.
What you have described here would not work.
You would need to re-take the MCAT for most MD schools.

Not trying to be negative, my thought is …. Give me one reason why school should take a person with a giant red flag who was dismissed, when they can pick from thousands of applicants who weren’t

• Love
Hello Everyone,

Thank you,
RK
I can't sugar coat this; your medical career is over. Time to move on.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't sugar coat this; your medical career is over. Time to move on
I got expelled for reasons beyond my control. My former Dean is willing to write a letter so I disagree with you on that. I made a mistake and now I've grown from it so I think it will be okay.

I got expelled for reasons beyond my control. My former Dean is willing to write a letter so I disagree with you on that. I made a mistake and now I've grown from it so I think it will be okay.
Tell us how it goes!
We know how this would fare at our own schools, but if there is a school out there that sees things so very differently (besides the Caribbean), it would be good to know.

I think your best bet is to focus on the school you were initially at. Because I don’t see any other school willing to take a chance on you. Sorry

Reactions: 3 users
Jump on board the new DO school train. They're proliferating like rabbits. Still better than carribean!

***or try to convince your former dean

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be DOA at my school.

The uphill battle you're facing is Adcoms will be thinking:
Is this the student we want in our class?
Why take a chance on this person when we have so many other applicants who are not dismissed from medical school?

If the reasons beyond your control were mental health issues, all the more difficult your task.

memelordpatrick was able to get reaccepted after Michigan rescinded its offer.

Agreeing with others: if your former dean is truly on your side, then you should have no trouble getting back in to your old school.

If the offer to write a letter is merely a courtesy and basically just an obligatory “he was here, he got expelled” then you’re still facing an uphill battle.

The sad fact is that 3 years is not that much time. Hard to believe much has changed and you won’t repeat the same pattern. Remember: M1 is the easiest part of the medical training. It only gets harder as you go along.

Reapplying now looks more like delusion than tenacity. If your original school won’t take you, I think it’s probably over.

• Love
I was shocked as well as some faculty when a fellow MS1 who, dismissed for harassment, was readmitted two or three years later at my allopathic school. Don't know the reasons for the return, but assumptions are they got help to deal with their personal issues and Daddy was a physician who called in some favors. The thing is they'll graduated, but will have a huge red flag during residency applications. Wondering how PDs will look at that. @NotAProgDirector

• Wow
I think much depends upon the details. I understand your hesitancy in being more specific, but all we know is that you were expelled for harrassment for an illness you couldn't handle, and that you made a "mistake". If you were harrassed, failed out of classes, manage to get back in and do OK, most residency programs won't care - it will be clear that whatever the problem was, is in the past. If you were the harrasser (unlikely from your post) or if the mistake to which you refer is something more than just failing out of school (i.e. you threatened violence against others) then that may be a much bigger problem. And if this ended up with some legal action, then that may be a problem also.

So it depends on the details. If you do get into a US medical school and do well, I expect that most residency programs won't care any more. There will always be the most selective programs / fields where it may be a problem. If you go to a carib school, then it may still be an issue when you try to match.

I think much depends upon the details. I understand your hesitancy in being more specific, but all we know is that you were expelled for harrassment for an illness you couldn't handle, and that you made a "mistake".

If you were harrassed, failed out of classes, manage to get back in and do OK, most residency programs won't care - it will be clear that whatever the problem was, is in the past. If you were the harrasser (unlikely from your post) or if the mistake to which you refer is something more than just failing out of school (i.e. you threatened violence against others) then that may be a much bigger problem. And if this ended up with some legal action, then that may be a problem also.
Oh!!! The details do change the calculus!

RK, can you elaborate in the Confidential Consult forum? You being the victim of harrassment is very different from you being the harrasser! I read your post as being the latter.

Oh!!! The details do change the calculus!

RK, can you elaborate in the Confidential Consult forum? You being the victim of harrassment is very different from you being the harrasser! I read your post as being the latter.
Then why would they have been expelled?

I have to confess I’m always skeptical of the whole “harassment” thing. Half the time when I discover the real details it boils down to “some people were mean to me.” I see this floated around both med school dismissal stories as well as residency non-renewal stories.

I’m sure there must be instances where it’s serious enough that any reasonable person would see their grades tank, but so far that’s not most of what I’ve seen. I think this is why OP really needs to focus on getting readmitted to their old school since they would actually know all the details. If they won’t take the risk, I doubt any other legit school will either.

• Love