Applying Anesthesia (California) - Advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerboy2288

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I've decided on Anesthesia pretty late in the game and wanted some advice. Here is my stat:

- School: Un-ranked US med school in the East Coast with NO anesthesia residency program
- Step 1: 260
- Clinical Rotations: All Honors except Surgery
- Research: pretty much ZERO
- LoR: Probably nothing crazy and not from a "big wig" considering we dont have a program.

Now the biggest concern for me is that I really want to match in to California. I have ties including the fact that my wife is from there and that I went to undergrad in southern california. I would be happy in any southern california programs (Keck, UCSD), but my top choice is UCLA. I realize that I am pretty competitive score/grades wise, but I know that top programs like UCSF, UCSD, and UCLA are very academic and research heavy. I was not sure how competitive I am at these programs since I have no research. So my question is:

1) What can I do at this point to increase my chances to get in to UCLA? Should I start research now (kind of late in the game)?

2) I am definitely going to do an away subi in California, but where should I do it? Should I do it at UCLA since I lack research? Or should avoid my #1 choice and go to other programs (Keck) since I am competitive enough on paper and I can only hurt my chances if I mess up? Heard both sides to the story...

Thanks for your advice in advance, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have a great chance at UCLA provided those scores and grades are accurate. That being said, a lot of my fellow residents did away rotations at UCLA. I personally did not do any research in anesthesia and I decided on Anesthesia in August; the month before applications were due. You're right in saying that an away is yours to mess up, but at the same time, it could be your way in. Just work your ass off. Hope this helps.

with those stats you will get an interview at any place you want and have a great chance to get into most programs. UCLA/UCSD/UCSF/STANFORD are research heavy but you will def get interviews there without any away rotations or research experience. I know quite a few at those programs with much lower stats than you and no research. You just need to do well on your interview day and convey that UCLA is the place you want to be without a doubt. An away rotation can help you do that but I find that its more of a risk. So do not do research, do an away at a more chill place like USC and enjoy hanging out in LA without the stress of trying to impress someone every single day, and then apply at UCLA get the interview (which i gurantee you will), don't be socially awkward, and you will have a great shot

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that there is no clear answer regarding whether or not to do an away rotation at UCLA. Try to get good LOR from someone. Where do you think you could best accomplish this goal?

Regarding research, you will be fine without it. Your school not having an anesthesia residency program is a reasonable excuse for not getting more involved with research probably. Additionally, as others have stated, research is not a requisite

Hi all, so I've decided on Anesthesia pretty late in the game and wanted some advice. Here is my stat:

- School: Un-ranked US med school with NO anesthesia residency program
- Step 1: 261
- Clinical Rotations: All Honors except IM (good chance for AOA)
- Research: pretty much ZERO (1 abstract in critical care journal where my name is like the 7th on the list Lol)
- LoR: Probably nothing crazy strong. Will get an anesthesia LoR later but we don't even have a residency program so I don't know how much my letters will help. Not very good at getting to know attendings at a personal level...

Now the biggest concern for me is that I really want to match in to California. I have ties including the fact that my wife is from there and that I went to undergrad in southern california. I would be happy in any southern california programs (Cedar, Keck, UCSD, UCI), but my top choice is UCLA. I realize that I am pretty competitive score/grades wise, but I know that top programs like UCSF, UCSD, and UCLA are very academic and research heavy. I was not sure how competitive I am at these programs since I have no research. So my question is:

1) What can I do at this point to increase my chances to get in to UCLA? Should I start research now (I hate research so I prefer not to.... plus its kind of late in the game)?

2) I am definitely going to do an away subi in California, but where should I do it? Should I do it at UCLA since I lack research? Or should avoid my #1 choice and go to other programs (Cedar, Keck) since I am competitive enough on paper and I can only hurt my chances if I mess up at UCLA?

Thanks for your advice in advance, I appreciate it.

I would also say aways are not necessary, and that UCLA is an awesome program. Research helps but don't have to do anything too crazy, ideally i think it would be great to do a couple months of research at UCLA - then you really don't have to do an audition but make your interests known to the program.

I had a very similar application to you just a bit more research heavy but was not offered an interview at UCLA until I actually asked for one - and then I was only given 3 interview dates. I actually inquired on my interview date on what happened and they said they didn't think I was seriously considering them and they interview a fewer number then most programs so your interest in the program is important. If you want actual details pm me- I thought the program was awesome. Come check out Stanford as well =).

Wow thanks everyone for all the advice, each one was really valuable and I really appreciate it.
After reading this I think I wont waste time on looking for research at this point (which was my biggest fear, phew!). After reading the posts I feel like I wont need an away at UCLA as long as I show interest. Though this was a little scary to me:
I think you have a great chance at UCLA provided those scores and grades are accurate. That being said, a lot of my fellow residents did away rotations at UCLA. I personally did not do any research in anesthesia and I decided on Anesthesia in August; the month before applications were due. You're right in saying that an away is yours to mess up, but at the same time, it could be your way in. Just work your ass off. Hope this helps.

Regarding the whole interest thing, I hope my ties to Cali and 1 or 2 away rotations in southern California will be enough to show them I'm serious about UCLA/So-Cal. I was thinking of writing a different personal statement for California programs by adding an extra paragraph regarding my desire to be in Cali (and maybe a specific one for UCLA..). Is that smart? Do people do that?

Anyhow thanks for all your input, you guys are awesome.

Last edited:
Answer this honestly- are you a pretty well-adjusted person socially? Do you find it easy to establish rapport with whoever you happen to be around?

If so, I would just go do your rotation at UCLA. You will get more out of it than a rotation at USC, where it may be difficult to get the kind of letter than opens doors for you. I can't speak for Cedars.

If you're *really* not confident in your ability to connect with people on the fly, then it may be better to rotate somewhere else.

The research thing doesn't matter at all, don't worry about it. What matters more is your ability to read for cases, and show up to the room having spent meaningful time thinking about the case, the pertinent pathophysiology, and having insightful questions regarding the proposed management. Your stats indicate that you have the capacity for this, and if you're confident that you can, I say buck up and rotate where you want to go.

Answer this honestly- are you a pretty well-adjusted person socially? Do you find it easy to establish rapport with whoever you happen to be around?

If so, I would just go do your rotation at UCLA. You will get more out of it than a rotation at USC, where it may be difficult to get the kind of letter than opens doors for you. I can't speak for Cedars.

If you're *really* not confident in your ability to connect with people on the fly, then it may be better to rotate somewhere else.

The research thing doesn't matter at all, don't worry about it. What matters more is your ability to read for cases, and show up to the room having spent meaningful time thinking about the case, the pertinent pathophysiology, and having insightful questions regarding the proposed management. Your stats indicate that you have the capacity for this, and if you're confident that you can, I say buck up and rotate where you want to go.

Thanks for the input Hawaiian Bruin. Ill keep that in my mind as I decide on 4th year rotations..

Don't shy away from doing a rotation at the place you want. I feel like you have to be REALLY off socially to hurt yourself there. If you can carry simple convo with people, be respectful, and just work hard (show up on time, help out with things without being annoying) I don't see how a rotation at the place YOU want will hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
not sure if its too late to put in my 2 cents, but..

i just started internship at UCLA as a pgy-1 as part of the new UCLA anesthesia class and I would say doing an away sub-i rotation here would definitely help moreso than hurt... I personally didn't do an away, but 15/22 of my co-residents did. UCLA interviews ~5 applicants on each interview day, and on my interview day, everybody had done an away rotation except me, and everybody was familiar and friendly with the anesthesia staff there already (who are by the way amazing), except for me...so i felt kind of left out lol but the one thing that was in my favor though was that I had in fact applied for a sub-i pretty early on, but it couldn't get approved in time due to technical reasons (they needed my surgery grade which i didn't get until i had already accepted a sub-i at a diff institution) i was even asked about this during my interview

so yeah, the entire interview trail i for some reason never thought once that doing an away sub-i would be overly helpful for any program, except for ucla

just some food for thought

best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
Generic advice for life.....

Go for what you want. Put in your best effort. If it doesn't happen, it wasn't meant to be.

Translation.....

Go to UCLA. Be the smart humble curious medical student that you are. Be the all around good guy that you are. You already have a track record of doing well. You don't get almost all honors and a 261 by being a lazy cretin. You've got this down. Just keep doing what you have been doing when you're at UCLA. Tell them you would love to match there. See what happens. I predict you will get love from many great programs.

If I was the UCLA program director, it would seem odd to me that you rotate at USC if UCLA was your 1st choice. Be clear of your intentions.

And be sure to check out UCSD......

Last edited:
If you do an away at UCSD, work hard, and prove you are normal, chill individual then you have a shot. If you wanna earn some brownie points with the PD buff your CV with all things peds and 3rd world mssion work related.

Coming from USC, I'll let you know that the sub-i here is probably not for you if you're gunning to impress a particular attending for a letter. You pick your rooms/cases at the beginning of each day so you can totally customize your experience, but you won't be able to pre-read or be with the same attending every day. You spend most of the time with residents and they'll all pretty much give you 100s on evals as long as you're sociable. While I really enjoy the program at County, I agree with the above poster that if UCLA is your dream program, you should try for an away there.