1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Applying as a New Resident

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by SomeDayDoctor, Jul 21, 2011.

1. SomeDayDoctor

SomeDayDoctor ISU class of 2016
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Hey all,

I applied to the U of M last and Iowa State University as a Minnesota resident. I attended Iowa State's (my school of choice) unsuccessful applicant workshop this spring and they basically told me my application was competitive just not in the huge OOS pool I was in. They reccomended I work toward residency in IA to get in the IS pool. Because I am already living in South Dakota and have a job here, I decided to work toward gaining residency in South Dakota and trying to get a one of the 6 contracts between SD and IA. Does anyone know the specific requirements for gaining residency so I will be able to apply as a SD resident. I have lived in SD for 4 years (including summers) but went to school at SDSU during that time. I know I'll need to get a new driver's lisence, register to vote, and register my car in SD. I am not sure if SD requires you to live in SD for a year without going to school or not. Gaining IA residency requires it but they informed me I could apply as a resident even if I was still working toward residency as long as I would have lived there for a year before starting vet school. Does anyone know if this is the same for SD? I emailed the director of the board of regents in SD and he didn't really answer my question. I thought I'd get advice from you guys. Any information would be helpful! Thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. laitmanvet

laitmanvet c/o 2015 - now interning it
    5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    Usually to gain residency you need a driver's license, a bank account and an address in the state as well as having worked in the state for at least a yr. When I moved to PA I opened a checking with the same bank attached to my previous checking account. I also then changed my driver's license. But you'll have to ask the school exactly what they say...every school/state is a little different.

Just as a side note though...if Iowa is your first choice, you'll have a much better chance at admission as an IS applicant than a contract (with only 6 seats).

4. CurrySpice

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Gaining residency in a state that doesn't have a vet school sounds like a poor idea to me. Is there some reason you can't relocate to Iowa? (besides the job)

5. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    SD has contract seats with IA, so s/he qualifies as "in state" for a few set aside seats at an established vet school.

6. CurrySpice

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I am fully aware of that, but South Dakota does not have its own vet school. It just doesn't make sense to compete for 3 spots when you could be competing for 40 spots in-state.

7. SomeDayDoctor

SomeDayDoctor ISU class of 2016
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    CurrySpice, you're right but there are also a lot more applicants competing for those IS spots. When I did the math, my chances would be about the same statistically. At this point, I would have to be living in Iowa by August and would have to find a job there which seems very unrealistic. When I attended the workshop, they also mentioned that I could gain South Dakota residency like I plan to. I have had many friends from SDSU get into Iowa State and recieve one of these contracts so I believe my best bet is to do the same. My question is whether I have time to gain residency in order to legally claim myself as a South Dakota resident when I apply.

Thanks for your input everyone!