Applying as Hispanic when I don't look it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfhhadsf234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 100% Puerto Rican but look completely white. Is applying as Hispanic to dental schools a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm 100% Puerto Rican but look completely white. Is applying as Hispanic to dental schools a bad idea?
Insane how race plays a role in school admissions (I thought the whole point was that it shouldn't...:eyebrow:)
Either way enough of the truth...I've heard of situations like this before. If you are indeed Peurto Rican you have nothing to fear.
They'd be afraid to question you anyways-that'd be racist...

Reactions: 1 user
Insane how race plays a role in school admissions (I thought the whole point was that it shouldn't...:eyebrow:)
Either way enough of the truth...I've heard of situations like this before. If you are indeed Peurto Rican you have nothing to fear.
They'd be afraid to question you anyways-that'd be racist...

I'm most afraid of them thinking I'm a liar and saying nothing. I really can't emphasize enough that I look like a stereotypical white guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm most afraid of them thinking I'm a liar and saying nothing. I really can't emphasize enough that I look like a stereotypical white guy.
Haha I know what you mean. But think of it this way-when they look at you and they see that you claim to be Peurto Rican, they're going to think themselves "this guy can't be lying about his race-it would too see through. He must be telling the truth and has some interesting story". Honestly that's the way I'd look at it.
Kind of like a "you can't make this stuff up" attitude.

Also you can bring up some anecdote from your family history on the interview. Obviously nonchalantly-you shouldn't sit there trying to convince your interviewer you're telling the truth about your race.

Don't worry about it. I'm Hispanic and look white as can be and race was never a discussion in my interviews.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Being Hispanic is admission gold. Good luck deciding which school to attend from all your future acceptances!

Yea your still hispanic bro. I am a URM with the same thing
Being Hispanic is admission gold. Good luck deciding which school to attend from all your future acceptances!
I hope that's the case lol

Hi all,

No, if you are Puerto rican, then definitely apply as that. Doesn't really matter if you "look like a Puerto rican" vs. "if you don't." I mean in all honesty, what is a Puerto rican supposed to look like? You should have no problems.

Reactions: 1 users
No one can challenge you on that. But it would be funny if you had a 'super-white' last name like Jones or Smith. Even if you did though, it wouldn't make a difference

too bad international isn't URM lol

No one can challenge you on that. But it would be funny if you had a 'super-white' last name like Jones or Smith. Even if you did though, it wouldn't make a difference
LOL when I'm ready to apply it's going to be fun explaining how someone born in Mexico, who immigrated at 1 and didn't learn english until preschool ended up with one of those two last names you just mentioned.

On one of the dental admissions committee videos, they said one of the things some dental applicants try to do is claim that they are a race that they're not. I'm assuming they must have a way of determining what ethnicity you really are then?

Schools are defending (and even accommodating) people claiming they are males when they have vaginas, and females when they have penises. You my friend are normal, and have nothing to worry about.
is that yo like avoid discrimination attacks...or boast that they fight for social injustice?

is that yo like avoid discrimination attacks...or boast that they fight for social injustice?
Probably fighting for social injustice. Meanwhile we have homeless, mistreated, and suicidal veterans, women and gays being killed in the Middle East, and people abusing government welfare programs. But hey, enforcing gender neutral pronouns and bathrooms upon an entire population will solve an issue affecting 0.6% of our population

Probably fighting for social injustice. Meanwhile we have homeless, mistreated, and suicidal veterans, women and gays being killed in the Middle East, and people abusing government welfare programs. But hey, enforcing gender neutral pronouns and bathrooms upon an entire population will solve an issue affecting 0.6% of our population
totally agree with this. wrong priorities for something that really doesn't matter all that much while really problems go unsolved and more people continue to suffer