Applying before or after summer retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melomare17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of applying again to med schools if I don't get in this year (1 waitlist so far). But wanted to know your thoughts on applying ASAP when app opens up, or applying right after finishing summer retakes on a few courses--since my app wouldnt have changed significantly since applying last summer and will change a lot more this summer with DO grade replacement. so would it be wise to apply after summer grades are out or while still in the summer courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking of applying again to med schools if I don't get in this year (1 waitlist so far). But wanted to know your thoughts on applying ASAP when app opens up, or applying right after finishing summer retakes on a few courses--since my app wouldnt have changed significantly since applying last summer and will change a lot more this summer with DO grade replacement. so would it be wise to apply after summer grades are out or while still in the summer courses?

My advice is to apply June 1st - update your app as much as you can. Indicate your intent to retake the courses during Summer session and send transcripts immediately once your grades post.

No reason to wait.

My advice is to apply June 1st - update your app as much as you can. Indicate your intent to retake the courses during Summer session and send transcripts immediately once your grades post.

No reason to wait.

hm update as in through email updates/letter updates??

Members don't see this ad :)
I did it after, but I would do it before. You can update AACOMAS as many times as you want. I sent transcripts after summer classes and fall classes were done, and sent emails highlighting my grades and making sure they remembered me.

The tricky part is hoping your lower GPA is hopefully not ruling you out of consideration, hence waiting for your retakes to boost your GPA. I opted to wait, as my retakes took me from a 3.1 sGPA to a 3.23. After fall retakes, I got up to a 3.43 sGPA.

I don't mean to hijack the thread (sorry Melomare), but I have some related questions that could help us both and that I didn't feel warranted their own thread. Thanks in advance for your responses.

1. I'm currently retaking OChem 2 and the Spring semester ends May 25th. The school won't be able to send transcripts out until nearly June 12th or so. Would it be worth it to submit my AACOMAS app. on June 1st and then update it with the transcript for this semester sometime in mid-June? Or would those couple of weeks not make much of a difference, and should I just wait till I have everything complete? (I will make sure to have all my other materials in when the application opens in May).
  2. For those of you who have experience updating AACOMAS after you've submitted it, how does this procedure work? It's my understanding that you can't make changes to it after it's been submitted. Do you just physically send new transcripts in to AACOMAS?

I don't mean to hijack the thread (sorry Melomare), but I have some related questions that could help us both and that I didn't feel warranted their own thread. Thanks in advance for your responses.

1. I'm currently retaking OChem 2 and the Spring semester ends May 25th. The school won't be able to send transcripts out until nearly June 12th or so. Would it be worth it to submit my AACOMAS app. on June 1st and then update it with the transcript for this semester sometime in mid-June? Or would those couple of weeks not make much of a difference, and should I just wait till I have everything complete? (I will make sure to have all my other materials in when the application opens in May).
  2. For those of you who have experience updating AACOMAS after you've submitted it, how does this procedure work? It's my understanding that you can't make changes to it after it's been submitted. Do you just physically send new transcripts in to AACOMAS?
1) Yes, submit early.

2)Yes you physically send in new transcripts, that being said those classes should be listed in your coursework the same way that your other courses are. AACOMAS will send out an updated primary to the schools that you listed. Just keep an eye on it, call AACOMAS to check on the status, give the adcoms a heads up, ect...

Thank you! Btw dntke, I saw your stats and outcome over in the Underdog thread this cycle. You're definitely one of my inspirations haha. I'm hoping to apply in the upcoming cycle. Congratulations!

1) Yes, submit early.

2)Yes you physically send in new transcripts, that being said those classes should be listed in your coursework the same way that your other courses are. AACOMAS will send out an updated primary to the schools that you listed. Just keep an eye on it, call AACOMAS to check on the status, give the adcoms a heads up, ect...

Thank you! Btw dntke, I saw your stats and outcome over in the Underdog thread this cycle. You're definitely one of my inspirations haha. I'm hoping to apply in the upcoming cycle. Congratulations!
Thanks! Just stay with it and you will be good! Have to say it felt pretty good to have multiple interviews and be able to tell schools that I would not be attending because I was accepted at one of my top schools! Best of luck to you!

hm update as in through email updates/letter updates??

Sorry - haven't been on much.

To make updates to your file you just send your transcripts to the schools (through an official avenue - either Interfolio or directly from your institution). I recommend using Interfolio so you only have to pay for one transcript.

Having your file in early is MUCH more important than having your file complete with the latest and greatest information available to the committee. Indicate you're retaking the courses and they may hold your file anyway... or they may not. It's the may not that you're banking on.

I'm facing that same issue too. Provided I do well this semester, my AACOMAS GPA will be around 3.2 as I graduate. I plan on retaking biochem (June and early July) and physics II (late July and early August) this summer, and I'm thinking that I'll send my app right after the biochem retake. My GPA will be around 3.4 after the biochem retake, and around 3.5 after the physics II retake, assuming I get A's.

If this isn't the best course of action to take, then let me know.

I'm facing that same issue too. Provided I do well this semester, my AACOMAS GPA will be around 3.2 as I graduate. I plan on retaking biochem (June and early July) and physics II (late July and early August) this summer, and I'm thinking that I'll send my app right after the biochem retake. My GPA will be around 3.4 after the biochem retake, and around 3.5 after the physics II retake, assuming I get A's.
Earlier would be best. You can show that the retakes are pending if you want.

Earlier would be best. You can show that the retakes are pending if you want.
If I do apply earlier, then won't I risk getting rejected before I have an improved GPA? Or will the pending retakes assure me that no final rejection will be made until all my grades are in?

If I do apply earlier, then won't I risk getting rejected before I have an improved GPA? Or will the pending retakes assure me that no final rejection will be made until all my grades are in?
My guess would be the latter of what you said. Are these two classes going to significantly affect your GPA?

My guess would be the latter of what you said. Are these two classes going to significantly affect your GPA?
I think to bring my GPA (both c and s) from 3.2 to 3.5+ is pretty significant, and my idea was to compromise and apply after the first retake.

But if sending the app during the second week of July is relatively "late", then maybe I'll reconsider and send it earlier.

I think to bring my GPA (both c and s) from 3.2 to 3.5+ is pretty significant, and my idea was to compromise and apply after the first retake.

But if sending the app during the second week of July is relatively "late", then maybe I'll reconsider and send it earlier.

I guess it depends on what schools you're applying to in actuality. My app was verified complete about the third week of September and I felt pretty early to most places. It's important to apply early but most schools don't really kick into interview season until about the end of September or early October.

However, with that said, GPA/MCAT score and importance of an early app are inversely proportional. The lower your GPA/MCAT the greater the importance of submitting early. Thus, you don't want to beat around the bush too much.

Have all of your ECs in a spreadsheet, including dates, hours/week, total hours, and a description. Have all of your work history including dates and a description in the same spreadsheet. Have all of your awards in the same spreadsheet. Have unofficial copies of all of your transcripts ready to be entered.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, request letters of recommendation this semester. Absolutely no reason to wait. There's many parts of the process you have no control over - verification time and letter of recommendation arrival time being the two largest. Get those requested and in to Interfolio ASAP.

Once your MCAT score and/or grade updates drops you'll be ready to go. I submitted my application the day after my MCAT score was released.