Applying before taking DAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys quick question. I have posted before but just want to clarify this. I plan to take the DAT Early Sept of '06. I am going to apply to AASDAS though in june. So all I will have to do is fax my scores and everything will be ready. What do you think about this?

Now here is the important part. When I send my app to AASDAS in June will I have to apply to the schools individually and pay each schools individual fees? Because what if I dont do so hot on the DAT I dont want to have wasted the money and everything. Can some please suggest the best way for me to do this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When you apply to schools through AADSAS, you select all of the schools you want AADSAS to send you application to. At the time you submit your AADSAS application, you'll pay AADSAS an application fee. Once the schools recieve your application, some of them will require you to pay a secondary fee and fill out a secondary application. If you are interested in a school and they require a secondary fee, you'll need to pay it eventually. So, if you want to wait until September to see how you do on the DAT before paying secondary fees, then you can do that. But, they won't usually process your application until they get your money. So, you'll be late in the cycle. My advice is to apply to the schools you are interested in and pay the supplemental fees even though you don't have your DAT scores. Applying to dental school is an expensive ride, just put up the money and study hard for the DAT.

hmmm okay thanks. Here is another question. Say I pay the AASDAS fee. DO I pay that fee per school or is it just one big fee lol? Also when I apply in june to all the schools that I want and send secondaries to only a couple because What if I don't do well on the DATs? Once those schools recieve my $$$ They still wont look at my app because my DAT score isn't in yet correct? So basically they will wait for me to recieve the DAT score correct?

Now will it matter if I just wait until I get my score and THEN apply to school? Because that makes a little more sense right? So what do you guys think? I am a little nervous because I will finish Orgo 2, in June '06. I plan to study june, july, and some of august Will that be enough time you think? Can any1 give me any advice on this please? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
U sure have alot of basic, self-realizable questions for someone with the title DDS.

Don't have the title just yet, this is just a sn. Im sorry if the questions are stupid I just want to make sure and am getting a little nervous now... I dont want to screw this up....

Just want to know if I should apply then pay some secondaries before taking the DAt and once I take the DAt then fax my score... Is this common and how will Dental Schools look at it. Would they think im stupid applying before taking the DAT? or shoul dI just wait until I take the DAT and then apply once I get my score?

JohnDoeDDS said:
Don't have the title just yet, this is just a sn. Im sorry if the questions are stupid I just want to make sure and am getting a little nervous now... I dont want to screw this up....

Just want to know if I should apply then pay some secondaries before taking the DAt and once I take the DAt then fax my score... Is this common and how will Dental Schools look at it. Would they think im stupid applying before taking the DAT? or shoul dI just wait until I take the DAT and then apply once I get my score?

You can just apply, then fax them your score once you got it.

maisuree said:
You can just apply, then fax them your score once you got it.

does he need to fax them? I thought we can just choose what schools we want to send DAT scores at the testing place, and they send for u.

joonkimdds said:
does he need to fax them? I thought we can just choose what schools we want to send DAT scores at the testing place, and they send for u.

If the DAT score is the only thing that holds your appl, it's your choice if you want to fax. It's true that you choose to send official scores to the schools directly, but it'll take time. Since you'll have your score in your hand once you're done w/ the test, you may want fax ur score to them and they'll also receive the official one later on.

k got it. Thanks guys. Another question. Let's say that I do poorly on late August, and the schools get my scores... Can I still retake the test for that same cycle? Or will the schools already have made my decision based on the score they recieved?