Applying both MD and DO residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emlopez2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Since allopathic and osteopathic match is separate how do you rank accordingly to your top choices. I couldnt exactly find a straight answer to this question in these forums. One person said that the DO match comes first and if you do match with one then you are excluded from the MD match list. Is this true? What if your top choices are to allopathic residencies, how do you avoid getting bumped from the match? Would you have to only apply allopathic?

Members don't see this ad.

One person said that the DO match comes first and if you do match with one then you are excluded from the MD match list. Is this true?

yes it is.

What if your top choices are to allopathic residencies, how do you avoid getting bumped from the match?

By either not applying through the Osteopathic match, or by applying but not matching in the Osteopathic match.

Would you have to only apply allopathic?

this is what 47.5% of Osteopathic students did in this years match.

Wow. I cant believe they would actually set up the match systems like this. Well I guess my next question is how do you find out where the DO friendly allopathic programs are?

so what is the point of going DO if half of DO's are applying to allopathic residencies??

Wow. I cant believe they would actually set up the match systems like this.

it gets worse. The AMA & ACGME have had the idea of combining the residency match system etc, but the AOA and the rest of the Osteopathic organizations are fervently against it.

Well I guess my next question is how do you find out where the DO friendly allopathic programs are?

First start with what field you are looking at going at, then either ask here or go to their websites and look at their resident list to see if they have any DOs on staff.

so what is the point of going DO if half of DO's are applying to allopathic residencies??

In same ways, you have to. The AOA does not even have enough spots to support all of the Osteopathic grads per year.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'll have to check into some programs. Hopefully everything works out and going the DO route doesnt bite me in the ass.