Applying both MD/PhD and MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silvermuse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm re-looking at the med school websites for the school I'm applying to this year and I'm getting a little confused.

I'm planning to apply MD/PhD. I know many schools will consider you for MD-only if you're not accepted for MD/PhD. However, is it possible to apply for MD/PhD and MD-only at the same time, to the same school? If so, is that clear on the school's secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

From my memory of applications 2 years ago, I either indicated MD/PhD and would automatically be considered for MD if I didn't get in dual degree, or I had the option of requesting that I get considered for MD if I didn't get in dual degree. Two separate and simultaneous MD and MD/PhD applications wasn't an option I came across...

A couple of schools consider you for md-only before passing you on to mstp, but more often I heard schools only pass you to md if they turn you down for mstp. However, each school has it's own specific protocol so you either have to ask the school or apply and go with it... I guess. I, too, didn't see an option to have two separate apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that with some of the Texas schools, you might be able to apply to MD/PhD and MD simultaneously, since the MD/PhD apps go through AMCAS and you have to submit a TMDSAS for the MD programs...I don't know if the apps are considered seperately though. I only know that you can submit to both "tracks" at the same time.

OP: You want to be considered by both simultaneously so if the combo doesn't work out, you won't have lost valuable time that MD only app's had?

No you can't apply to the two simultaneously, you have to be considered for the combo first.

I think that with some of the Texas schools, you might be able to apply to MD/PhD and MD simultaneously, since the MD/PhD apps go through AMCAS and you have to submit a TMDSAS for the MD programs...I don't know if the apps are considered seperately though. I only know that you can submit to both "tracks" at the same time.

Anyone able to confirm this? I am currently completing both AMCAS and TDMSAS applications, so it would be nice to know if the TX medical schools wil consider both applications independently.

Last time I checked (two years ago, actually), Baylor considers applicants for both programs simultaneously. So do UCSF and Yale.

When I applied to Baylor forever and a day ago, they considered me for MD and MD/PhD simultaneously. I was accepted for both programs pretty early and I was even offered a merit scholarship on the MD side. I did not elect to be considered for MD-only, and really had little interest in MD-only, they just did it automatically. I did not submit TMSDAS.

I did not apply to UTSW or any of the other Texas schools, as back then they only took applications through TMSDAS, including for MD/PhDs.

However, being considered for MD and MD/PhD simultaneously is not particularly common, and policies can change from school to school in different years. The only other school I can think of that considered me simultaneously was Michigan.