Applying Diagnostic Radiology after Not Matching Surgery: Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emdee_inside

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not match into a surgical subspecialty (March 2020). After much introspection and discussions, I plan to apply DR (should have applied the first time) for Match 2021. I'm currently delaying graduation to 2021 so I can stay a student and apply as a US Senior (and take 2 DR rotations). Although I'm asking for general advice, I really am interested in everyone's thoughts about including not matching in my personal statement. Of course, I am happy to explain it in an interview.

Should I use my personal statement as an opportunity to explain why I think I didn't match / what I've learned from the experience? Or should I use it to talk about why I'm interested in DR and why this is a MUCH better fit for my personality and intellectual preferences? There is also an area on ERAS that asks "Was your medical education/training extended or interrupted?" and it's a 534-character text box. Thoughts?

Stats in case it helps: 250+ Step 1/2 (CS Pass). Honors in surgery, IM. 8 pubs. Not AOA.

Members don't see this ad.

You should address it I think. Do you have to pay for that extra year of being a student? That must be a tough pill to swallow.

Couldn't you graduate and just do a research year?

@Dave1980 Yes, have to pay for the year but I have funds so not too much of a concern for me. I could graduate but thought it would be better to stay a student to have the ability to continue taking rotations and stay clinically sharp. Also, applying as a US senior would be better than applying as an independent applicant (per advice from my school leadership).

@Dave1980 Yes, have to pay for the year but I have funds so not too much of a concern for me. I could graduate but thought it would be better to stay a student to have the ability to continue taking rotations and stay clinically sharp. Also, applying as a US senior would be better than applying as an independent applicant (per advice from my school leadership).

Well good luck to you. I hope you match somewhere great.