Applying Diagnostic Radiology after Not Matching Surgery: Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emdee_inside

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did not match into a surgical subspecialty (March 2020). After much introspection and discussions, I plan to apply DR (should have applied the first time) for Match 2021. I'm currently delaying graduation to 2021 so I can stay a student and apply as a US Senior (and take 2 DR rotations). Although I'm asking for general advice, I really am interested in everyone's thoughts about including not matching in my personal statement. Of course, I am happy to explain it in an interview.

Should I use my personal statement as an opportunity to explain why I think I didn't match / what I've learned from the experience? Or should I use it to talk about why I'm interested in DR and why this is a MUCH better fit for my personality and intellectual preferences? There is also an area on ERAS that asks "Was your medical education/training extended or interrupted?" and it's a 534-character text box. Thoughts?

Stats in case it helps: 250+ Step 1/2 (CS Pass). Honors in surgery, IM. 8 pubs. Not AOA.
 
@Dave1980 Yes, have to pay for the year but I have funds so not too much of a concern for me. I could graduate but thought it would be better to stay a student to have the ability to continue taking rotations and stay clinically sharp. Also, applying as a US senior would be better than applying as an independent applicant (per advice from my school leadership).
 
@Dave1980 Yes, have to pay for the year but I have funds so not too much of a concern for me. I could graduate but thought it would be better to stay a student to have the ability to continue taking rotations and stay clinically sharp. Also, applying as a US senior would be better than applying as an independent applicant (per advice from my school leadership).

Well good luck to you. I hope you match somewhere great.