Applying DO with no DO exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregOdensKnee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any DOs to shadow (will keep looking) and live in a part of the states where there aren't many DOs in the first place. Will this severely inhibit my application? I obviously won't apply to schools that require DO letters, but does this limit me at schools such as DMU which have questions on the secondary regarding osteopath experience?

Clinical exposure - 250 hours of hospital volunteering + 60 hours of shadowing MDs

Stats: 3.5/514

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been able to find any DOs to shadow (will keep looking) and live in a part of the states where there aren't many DOs in the first place. Will this severely inhibit my application? I obviously won't apply to schools that require DO letters, but does this limit me at schools such as DMU which have questions on the secondary regarding osteopath experience?

Clinical exposure - 250 hours of hospital volunteering + 60 hours of shadowing MDs

It won't hurt at most of the school, but yes, it will hurt for schools that require the DO LOR. Do you live within driving distance of a COM?

Western - Lebanon is within driving distance for me, but as I understand it their first class is still in residency.

This is my DO school list, non of which require DO letters:
RVU
KCU
DMU
UNE
NOVA
Western - Lebanon
PNWU
MU
CCOM
AZCOM (Unsure)

Thanks for the response

I hope you're gunning for low-tier MDs and that the DOs are just back-ups.