Applying Early- DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikedmd1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- thanks for all the posts and updates, congrats to all of you who have done well and are DONE finally! My question is- how big of a deal is it for me to push my test day back 1 week (from July 29th to August 5th)? Is applying early THAT big of a deal, my apps are already in and schools are just waiting for my DAT. I feel that if I wait 1 extra week it might really help my scores. I have a 3.71 overall and 3.70 science gpa, with good extra currics. Thanks, any help/encouragement would be appreciated.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys- thanks for all the posts and updates, congrats to all of you who have done well and are DONE finally! My question is- how big of a deal is it for me to push my test day back 1 week (from July 29th to August 5th)? Is applying early THAT big of a deal, my apps are already in and schools are just waiting for my DAT. I feel that if I wait 1 extra week it might really help my scores. I have a 3.71 overall and 3.70 science gpa, with good extra currics. Thanks, any help/encouragement would be appreciated.

-Mike

If you think that the extra week will raise your score, then of course push it back. However if you u are just nervous and want to just procrastinate then it would be foolish. As long as you are doing it because you genuinely need more time to study its fine.

If you think that the extra week will raise your score, then of course push it back. However if you u are just nervous and want to just procrastinate then it would be foolish. As long as you are doing it because you genuinely need more time to study its fine.

agreed 1000% :)

Thanks guys-
Yeah I agree...and i am definitely not being lazy about this, I think it would really help. What is the deal with the early application process anyways- Am I really not going to get accepted into a significant amount of schools by applying late (by late I mean completing my app on August 5th)? I understand schools want to fill their classes early, but if I have solid stats how could I be penalized?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys-
Yeah I agree...and i am definitely not being lazy about this, I think it would really help. What is the deal with the early application process anyways- Am I really not going to get accepted into a significant amount of schools by applying late (by late I mean completing my app on August 5th)? I understand schools want to fill their classes early, but if I have solid stats how could I be penalized?

Its not that you are penalized, it is just that they will have already sent their interview acceptances out and they do not know how many people they are going to accept. Therefore they have to wait until accepting the people from the first interviews before they send out the second wave of interview letters. If their class is full already then they cant accept anymore poelple.

Hey Mike, I take my test on August 1st...actually im retaking it (I took it mid Aug 2007 and did :( I don't like to thing negatively, but I also don't like the pressure of thinking that I will only have the opportunity of taking the DATS only once for this application cycle...A lot of schools don't look at DAT scores after Nov. 1st...If you take it on Aug 1st, the next time you can take it is Oct 30....If you don't mind not having the option of retaking this cycle then by all means push back the test two weeks if you think you can prepare urself better...just a thought. Good Luck!!!!