Applying early to Postbaccs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noodles198709

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm kinda new to the board and this has probably already been discussed ( I haven't found it if it has), but I'm interested in applying to postbaccs for the summer of 2009. I've heard that it's best to apply as early as possible. If I want to start in summer '09, and most of the deadlines for starting in summer are in Late feb/early march (some in April), should I start applying in October '08 or so?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I'm kinda new to the board and this has probably already been discussed ( I haven't found it if it has), but I'm interested in applying to postbaccs for the summer of 2009. I've heard that it's best to apply as early as possible. If I want to start in summer '09, and most of the deadlines for starting in summer are in Late feb/early march (some in April), should I start applying in October '08 or so?
Thanks.

Yup. Most of the formal programs open their doors to applications on or around October 1st. You should apply as soon as applications are accepted, perhaps even the first day. This will a) show your enthusiasm for that particular program and b) allow the program to get back in touch with you much quicker, since fewer applicants have their acts together that early in the game. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the speedy response. I have an additional question. So, I know that interviews are pretty important in the admissions process. However, what if I don't have the funds to buy a ticket out there on such short notice? Is it possible to conduct a phone interview or anything? I know those aren't as conducive to displaying my personality, but I'm not sure if I'll have the money when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the speedy response. I have an additional question. So, I know that interviews are pretty important in the admissions process. However, what if I don't have the funds to buy a ticket out there on such short notice? Is it possible to conduct a phone interview or anything? I know those aren't as conducive to displaying my personality, but I'm not sure if I'll have the money when the time comes.

Phone interviews are offered for most programs, yes. I know at least Bryn Mawr claims to not discriminate against you based on your decision to do it over the phone, but to be honest, I remain skeptical. I thought my in-person interview was crucial in convincing them I was a strong candidate. If you can do it over the phone, though, more power to you. I know at least one person who did an over-the-phone interview (he was working abroad, in Africa) and was accepted.

Keep in mind you are allowed to pick your interview date from many choices. If you get invited in early October, you could theoretically set an interview date a month or more away, so as to secure better airfare. It benefits you to get everything done (including the interview) early, but you have the option of interviewing whenever you so choose.

Thanks.

Seconding what NewmansOwn said - if you apply early in the season to competitive postbacs, your application will get looked at much more carefully. At times of the year when program directors have 5 applications coming in each week instead of 100, they can devote a lot more time to each applicant.

I am also looking at beginning the application process ASAP with the added twist that I will have a military deployment in progress around the time that schools begin accepting applications. If possible, I would like to get my apps in prior to deployment (July or August) since it be much easier and hopefully would allow the program start date to coincide with my gettin' out (of the military) date. Do most programs have some kind of provisions for this situation? Any recommendations on the best course of action for this?

I am also looking at beginning the application process ASAP with the added twist that I will have a military deployment in progress around the time that schools begin accepting applications. If possible, I would like to get my apps in prior to deployment (July or August) since it be much easier and hopefully would allow the program start date to coincide with my gettin' out (of the military) date. Do most programs have some kind of provisions for this situation? Any recommendations on the best course of action for this?

Program start dates are set, regardless of when you apply, so no need to feel pressure there. You should call the schools individually -- I'm sure they would be willing to take your application and open it/consider it when October comes around.