Applying for DVM/PhD program

Started by H and D
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

H and D

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just beginning the thought process about applying for a DVM/phD program in another year.

I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who is either currently in a program or applied this cycle and doesn't mind me picking their brain. I know the programs are very competitive and I am wondering if my stats measure up and if there are areas I need to strengthen before I apply. Also wondering if I can get more info in general on the application process as well as the life of a dvm/phd student.

I can provide more information on myself if needed.

Thanks so much!

PS I did try and search this topic but came up with nothing?
 
I'm sure others will be of more help than I... but I do have one comment.

There are a number of schools who allow you to apply to the dual PhD program during your first year of vet school - so, if for whatever reason you don't get into one of the big DVM/PhD programs - there is still hope. The only program I know well is Auburn's - you apply for the PhD program while in your first year of the DVM program - and you can insert 1-2 extra years between years 2 and 3 of the DVM to focus on your research etc.

And, there is also the possibility of doing a MS or PhD with your residency post-doctorally...

This really isn't what you asked - but, I'm sure someone will be able to help you. 😀
 
Make sure you talk to an admissions officer before applying to a school. When I was looking at programs, there were quite a few that said they had a DVM/PhD program on their website. When I actually talked to the admissions office, though, I was told that the program was non-existent or was discouraged from even applying because of lack of any real structure and support.

I'm sure others will be of more help than I... but I do have one comment.

There are a number of schools who allow you to apply to the dual PhD program during your first year of vet school - so, if for whatever reason you don't get into one of the big DVM/PhD programs - there is still hope. The only program I know well is Auburn's - you apply for the PhD program while in your first year of the DVM program - and you can insert 1-2 extra years between years 2 and 3 of the DVM to focus on your research etc.

And, there is also the possibility of doing a MS or PhD with your residency post-doctorally...

This really isn't what you asked - but, I'm sure someone will be able to help you. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I actually talked to the admissions office, though, I was told that the program was non-existent or was discouraged from even applying because of lack of any real structure and support.

I talked about this with one of my interviewers and had this reaction. I'm interested in the phd/residency combo.
 
I am just beginning the thought process about applying for a DVM/phD program in another year.

I am wondering if there is anyone on this forum who is either currently in a program or applied this cycle and doesn't mind me picking their brain. I know the programs are very competitive and I am wondering if my stats measure up and if there are areas I need to strengthen before I apply. Also wondering if I can get more info in general on the application process as well as the life of a dvm/phd student.

I can provide more information on myself if needed.

Thanks so much!

PS I did try and search this topic but came up with nothing?

i applied to three dual degree programs this year, and just found out i was accepted to one of them (csu). check out a similar thread from a while ago. good luck, and pm me if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of any of the schools i listed on my post...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=365852
 
Make sure you talk to an admissions officer before applying to a school. When I was looking at programs, there were quite a few that said they had a DVM/PhD program on their website. When I actually talked to the admissions office, though, I was told that the program was non-existent or was discouraged from even applying because of lack of any real structure and support.

I am surprised/discouraged to hear this...guess I will really need to do my homework before applying.
 
Can anyone recommend a short list of good schools/programs to look in to?

Thanks!
 
Can anyone recommend a short list of good schools/programs to look in to?

Thanks!

H&D - what is it you want to do? each school has its strengths and weaknesses. but, i looked into almost all the dual programs and may be able to help... or do you mean schools/programs for dvm only?
 
This is a very selfish list, but here's where I'll be applying for the dual degrees: (note that I eliminate most schools in the south or middle of the country - that's a personal bias)

Cornell
Penn
Wisconsin
Davis
NCSU
CSU
maybe Tufts
 
This is a very selfish list, but here's where I'll be applying for the dual degrees: (note that I eliminate most schools in the south or middle of the country - that's a personal bias)

Cornell
Penn
Wisconsin
Davis
NCSU
CSU
maybe Tufts

these are the same ones i looked into....

hoodle - just an fyi on davis program. the admissions director told me that current students are more competitive than new dvm applicants - from another person, i heard they offered to only 2 students total this year (i'm assuming they were current - but don't know for sure).

tufts - you can do a joint; the phd is done with U Mass or in the Sackler School of Grad Biomed Sciences
 
H&D - what is it you want to do? each school has its strengths and weaknesses. but, i looked into almost all the dual programs and may be able to help... or do you mean schools/programs for dvm only?

I am looking for schools with an established dvm/phd program that can be done concurrently (versus first dvm then phd).

Not entirely sure what my research focus maybe. At this point I am thinking about equine or food animal research. Maybe something that focuses on disease. Again this is very preliminary thinking.

My in state school is Minnesota so that will be #1 on my list. I am looking for other options besides MN.

I was looking at Cornell's website and it looked like a strong program but also very competitive. Not sure my stats are good enough for that level.

I am also wondering what kind of backgrounds they are looking for in applicants to these programs. I have a fair amount of clinic exposure and currently work in animal based research (includes direct surgical experience).
 
that's funny-- when i emailed wisconsin about the possibility of doing a joint degree program there they told me they did not have a formal program. research is great there, but they said the best opportunities for research would be taking a year off from the vet curriculum (for a stipend but no degree) or trying to figure out how to do a dual dvm phd with no vet tuition relief and basically no support resources. where did you get that info, hoodle?

i know uiuc has a dual degree program, but it's really tough to find info on it. they told me there was stuff online but i didn't find anything very helpful. i'm a little out of the loop because, although i'm interested in continuing down the research track i've been on, i didn't end up applying to dual programs.